YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

college lifestye
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

JennFank848
Posted 2005-05-23 12:29 PM (#24563 - in reply to #24243)
Subject: RE: college lifestye

Wow, I guess I never realized how many calories is actually in fries, or just McDonalds in general. You think I should try and substitute salads instead of this? What else could I do to lose weight? What kind of exercise should I be doing?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mitch
Posted 2005-05-23 1:46 PM (#24568 - in reply to #20876)

The best advice that I could give is to go easy on yourself. Jumping into a 100% healthy eating lifestyle will surely result in a 100% unhealthy binge down the road.

Just try to take things one decision at a time. When you're hungry and you feel like McDonald's, choose the grilled chicken or salad or only finish half your fries. Slowly replace fatty, greasy foods with healthy ones. Pay attention to how you feel after each meal and try to isolate the foods that make you feel good from the ones that make you feel bad.

ENJOY yourself when you're eating poorly. Realize that you're eating for enjoyment (rather than nourishment) and don't beat yourself up for it. Just slowly train your body and mind away from the bad stuff and towards the good stuff. And if you slip up, you always have another chance to do better!

For exercise, you might want to try yoga. I hear great things about it!
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-05-23 4:09 PM (#24572 - in reply to #20876)

Good tips, Mitch! It's important not to be TOO strict with yourself all the time. Think of how you would tell your best friend or significant other to eat - you'd want them to be healthy so they'd feel good and live long, but you wouldn't want them to be deprived of the things they love.

One thing that helps me is to make sure I eat ALL my healthy food before I dive into the junk food. For example, if I have to sit at a desk all day, I'll bring a salad, some fruit (fresh and dried), some nuts or trail mix, a little bag of cereal (like Kashi), lite yogurt, etc. If I finish all that and still crave a candy bar, then I just have the candy and enjoy it! Or stop at McD's on the way home for whatever it is I can't get out of my mind.

That way, the focus is on making sure I get all the nutrients I need, rather than on counting calories. The more nutritious foods generally have fewer calories than whatever junk I'm craving anyway. Plus, if I'm getting all the nutrients & vitamins to stay healthy, the junk food has less of a detrimental effect on my system. Especially if I'm getting enough fiber, it doesn't stick around too long!

What you may also find is that a regular yoga practice (or whatever exercise you enjoy) can be hampered by poor eating habits. A Big Mac and fries can make you feel pretty bloated and sluggish, and you'll enjoy your exercise more when you keep your meals lighter. Then the more you exercise, the less opportunity you'll have to really enjoy the occasional big greasy meal!
JennFank848
Posted 2005-05-24 12:06 PM (#24599 - in reply to #24572)

Hey thanks for all the help. I will try yoga I know a lot of people that do it and love it. I will def. take your advice though and not be so strict with myself. I like your philosophy with eating all the healthy things and then after I have eaten it all and if I am still craving a chocolate bar then I can eat it. I will try to little by little move away from the junk food and try to substitute it with healthy things.

Has anyone heard of xenadrine nrg? I know a few people who are taking it and I was considering it also. I'm just confused about it and don't know whether or not I should take it. It is supposed to help with low energy levels and suppress appetite, so I was thinking about taking it. What do you guys think?
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-05-24 1:24 PM (#24600 - in reply to #20876)

I dunno, before taking anything that would mess with your natural system, I would try to boost energy levels naturally through diet and exercise. You'll feel a lot better in the long run!

By diet, I mean getting lots of nutritious, vitamin-packed foods into your body - not going on a "diet." You don't have to start running marathons right away, either. Just 20-30 min/day of getting yourself moving will probably help you feel more energetic than you might think. It's hard when your tired and it just sounds like more exertion! But it will help create more energy in your body, you'll be amazed.

The best thing is, no side effects! And it doesn't cost anything to try!
Cyndi
Posted 2005-05-24 5:39 PM (#24620 - in reply to #24599)

Expert Yogi

Well, I did it. I tried McD's new fruit salad and I LIKE it a lot!! I like the little *neon* green forks that go with it too!
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-05-24 9:36 PM (#24629 - in reply to #24310)

Expert Yogi

tourist - 2005-05-18 12:20 AM

Bay Guy - I am such a salt fiend. It is a hard habit to break! (Anyone remember the salt-sucking monster on the original Star Trek? I totally identified with her...) .

I totally remember the salt-sucking monster. They kept finding crewmen dead with
sucker marks all over them. She showed up as a lovely woman, no? I find it very
scary that you identify with her. Good thing that we are separately by the internet.

leela
Posted 2005-05-30 7:35 PM (#24824 - in reply to #24599)

JennFank848 - 2005-05-24 12:06 PM

Hey thanks for all the help. I will try yoga I know a lot of people that do it and love it. I will def. take your advice though and not be so strict with myself. I like your philosophy with eating all the healthy things and then after I have eaten it all and if I am still craving a chocolate bar then I can eat it. I will try to little by little move away from the junk food and try to substitute it with healthy things.

Has anyone heard of xenadrine nrg? I know a few people who are taking it and I was considering it also. I'm just confused about it and don't know whether or not I should take it. It is supposed to help with low energy levels and suppress appetite, so I was thinking about taking it. What do you guys think?

xenadrine nrg like many other fat burning and appetite suppresors contains A LOT of caffeine.
that of course means, it's a pick me up--some people will experience a huge energy high--
when the drug wears off then you'll experience an energy low-- rollercoastering like this is not a good thing for the body. Long term caffeine consumption can also lead to oterh problems like loss of calcium, osteoporosis, irritability, nervousness, stomach problems, etc.

so --yeah think twice before taking that pill. there are other better ways to be energetic and fit
JennFank848
Posted 2005-05-31 1:36 PM (#24841 - in reply to #20876)

I know that there can be potential side effects from taking something that help you lose weight, but it effects everyone differently. Anything nowadays can harm us. I think that I will start using xenadrine nrg to help me lose weight. However, I will still eat healthy and still exercise regularly. I just feel that by taking this it will help me lose even more weight. Thanks for all the advice given!
tourist
Posted 2005-05-31 7:41 PM (#24856 - in reply to #24629)

Expert Yogi

You are remembering correctly BG. It IS a bit scary that I identify with her, I admit I rather think tha tthe reason I really crave salt is that I was on a salt restricted diet for a time as a small child. I just have never gotten over that feeling of deprivation - who knows? and yes, I have several internet acquaintances I am glad to have some distance from! I myself am relatively harmless unless you happen to be holding a bag of Miss Vickies salt and vinegar chips...
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-06-02 10:20 PM (#24949 - in reply to #24856)

Expert Yogi

When they finally unmasked her, I think that she was covered with white fur and suckers.
tourist
Posted 2005-06-02 11:11 PM (#24955 - in reply to #24949)

Expert Yogi

Yeah, she was pretty scary. You'd think that would have cured me, but no!
LoraB
Posted 2005-06-03 9:31 AM (#24983 - in reply to #20876)

Cyndi - stop torturing me with references to Zaxby's and Chik-Fil-A that I can't have up here in the great white north! I actually was good friends with the Zaxby's owner's brother-in-law for a time so I definitely learned to love it. And Chik-Fil-A was one of my favorite junk treats when I wanted it bad - they had such good sweet tea! I know we've mentioned the sweet tea thing before, but my cravings have been worse than ever now that I'm dating another Southern boy....Luckily his mom was up here a couple weeks ago and made him a pitcher - tasted just like my friend Marla's momma's sweet tea. (I think I might have let him have 1 glass out of the whole thing!)
tourist
Posted 2005-06-03 10:22 AM (#24996 - in reply to #24983)

Expert Yogi

OK - now I really need to know how to make sweet tea!
LoraB
Posted 2005-06-03 1:18 PM (#25008 - in reply to #20876)

I've tried to make it taste just like Marla's Momma's tea about 100 times, using the exact same brand of teamaker, sugar, and tea but it doesn't work. Apparently you have to have been born in the South to make it work out exactly right. But, as long as you're using more sugar than tea it shoudl be just about right.
jbeanbutterfly
Posted 2005-06-07 9:53 AM (#25170 - in reply to #24620)

Cyndi - 2005-05-24 5:39 PM

Well, I did it. I tried McD's new fruit salad and I LIKE it a lot!! I like the little *neon* green forks that go with it too!

Just an FYI about that McD's fruit salad. An ex-coworker of mine tried that salad a couple of weeks ago, and she had a severe allergic reaction to it, and was taken to the ER two hours after eating it. I realize this probably won't happen to most people, but the point is that the fruit is NOT FRESH! They use preservatives. In my opinion, it's just another fast food "health food" gimmick, putting junk in our bodies that we don't need. If you like it, hey, that's cool, but you won't see me pulling around a McD's ever! (Did you recycle that fork?)
Cyndi
Posted 2005-06-07 10:04 AM (#25171 - in reply to #25170)

Expert Yogi

Hey Jean,

I have at least 20 of those green forks packages in the console of my car. I don't eat fruit and yogurt with a fork..I eat with my fingers. NO, I haven't had a reaction to the salads, at all. This is very interesting and I really appreciate you coming forward and telling me this, really I do. I'm always on the road and am sick of fast food and junk being the only thing available....so, guess I'll stick with my old routine....and, I'm certainly going to write to McD's and say something.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-06-07 10:09 AM (#25173 - in reply to #24983)

Expert Yogi

LoraB - 2005-06-03 9:31 AM

Cyndi - stop torturing me with references to Zaxby's and Chik-Fil-A that I can't have up here in the great white north! I actually was good friends with the Zaxby's owner's brother-in-law for a time

Sorry about that Lora....did this brother-in-law live in Athens, Ga?? I always thought that is where the company/owners originated from. My sister lives there. Anyway, one thing I can say is that Zaxby's is totally FRESH food and I know that 150%...I'm so pissed about my McD's fruit salad...I was really hoping....as my daughter would say...THEY ARE EVIL
LoraB
Posted 2005-06-07 11:42 AM (#25180 - in reply to #20876)

You're right Cyndi - they did originate in Athens. I think he lives out that way now (he sort of vanished one day). And yes, they were always fresh (and soo yummy).

Of course there are preservatives in the salad (which I'm trying today, BTW) - they get them shipped in and throw them in the fridge. I wouldn't want brown fruit! : ) Is it the ideal solution? Nope - but it's better than a big mac and large fries!

Posted 2005-06-07 12:05 PM (#25183 - in reply to #25180)

Oh boy! I was wondering what to have for lunch today--Big Mac and fries for me--thanks Lora!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)