YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New to Yoga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Hatha YogaMessage format

theprophet36
Posted 2010-08-10 8:55 AM (#124595)
Subject: New to Yoga

New User

Hi all. My name is Ethan. I am new here to the forums & new to Yoga practice. I will be attending my first begginer's Hatha Yoga class this saturday in Springfield, MA. I have done some Qigong, but that was a couple years ago now. I have done plenty of Martial Arts & I am currently taking 3 styles (training 4 days a week) after a 3.5 year hiatus (due to cancer).

I am not very flexible, despite my Martial Arts training. I am hoping the Yoga will help me in that area. I'm told to bring a towel, loose clothing, water & a thin yoga matt. Any advice for a newbie? Thanks in advance!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2010-08-10 12:27 PM (#124599 - in reply to #124595)
Subject: RE: New to Yoga

Hi Ethan,
Just go, relax and try not to judge yourself.

Remember to get deeper into the poses by relaxation instead of force and that if you feel pain, you are hurting yourself.

In most cases, a bit of discomfort in the belly (middle) of a muscle is building muscle, while discomfort in or near a joint is playing with injury.

Start each pose at your minimum with as good of alignment as you can, and then extend with every inhale and relax deeper into the pose with every exhale. Go only as far as you can maintain the alignment.

Remember to breathe! Breathe deeply and evenly through your nose and NEVER hold your breath (except during pranayama where it is part of the exercise or you are under water or in a camping outhouse.)
Enjoy!
Jim
theprophet36
Posted 2010-08-10 1:15 PM (#124602 - in reply to #124595)
Subject: Re: New to Yoga

New User

jimg,

Training martial arts & having done some Qigong I definitely know the importance of proper breathing. Thanks so much for your advice!! I can't wait to give this a go. I'm thinking that Yoga will balance perfectly with my other training.
theprophet36
Posted 2010-08-11 8:27 AM (#124613 - in reply to #124595)

New User

Talked to my Muay Thai instructor last night at class. He is very much in favor of Yoga. In fact some of the stretches we do after our warm-up are from his previous Yoga training. Cool!!
theprophet36
Posted 2010-08-18 7:18 AM (#124715 - in reply to #124613)

New User

The class was excellent. Definitely not easy and I can see how this will help my other training immensely. We went through quite a few asanas (1.5hr class), some easier than others. The Full Locust will take me some time to master, haha. I absolutely will continue training Yoga!!
Pema
Posted 2010-10-03 5:42 AM (#125337 - in reply to #124595)

New User

Fantastic! Enjoy the journey!

Posted 2010-12-01 9:28 PM (#126307 - in reply to #124595)

You have did all the preparatory work, Have a good exercise...
ilchileesedona
Posted 2013-11-25 1:28 AM (#211025 - in reply to #124595)

Veteran

I think you already have a coach to this yoga practice so just follow what he/she instructs to you...
liviapoinaru
Posted 2014-09-23 6:09 AM (#211692 - in reply to #124595)
Subject: RE: New to Yoga

In this global culture, we’re beings on the move. Magical vessels propel us through time zones and effortlessly lift us across borders, divides, languages, temperatures, smells and meridians. These same vessels then plop us down in faraway lands and we step out, expecting ourselves to acclimatize in a matter of moments to transformations it took the great ancestors ages to assimilate.
In the last years i`ve been working on this book, to get people starting on this beautiful path of yoga and meditation.
Since this is my first project, I would apreciate if people seeing this would give it a try, read it and share the experience with me. I am dedicated to expanding the identity, understanding and experience of yoga by crafting a yoga that is unique.
In order to access my ebook please go ahead and shoot an email at liviapoin13oct12@gmail.com, and in the shortest time possible i will reply. Thank you!
yogivini
Posted 2015-09-02 6:03 AM (#213450 - in reply to #124595)

New User

Yoga Vini Rishikesh provide 200 hours teacher training course in Rishikesh. It's a certified course allianced USA

Link : https://yogavinirishikesh.com/
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)