YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Lower back pain
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> General WellnessMessage format

malooga
Posted 2006-08-03 7:49 PM (#60953)
Subject: Lower back pain

A friend of mine that doesn't do yoga but likes to exercise moderately has developed some lower back pain...pain was pretty severe at first but has calmed down somewhat...any suggestions for some gentle asanas for the pain ?....i was thinking Paschimotaasana and Ardha Matsyendraasana if aligned correctly might be helpful....she has had the pain about two weeks...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2006-08-03 8:02 PM (#60957 - in reply to #60953)
Subject: RE: Lower back pain

Expert Yogi

Of course she should get it checked and get the ok to exercise. Then she could try the asana sequence for sciatica in the current Yoga Journal. It is a very gentle sequence which would probably be well tolerated by most people.
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-08-04 9:26 AM (#60994 - in reply to #60953)

Oh no, thanks for reminding me, I was supposed to get that issue to my Dad, Duh, he even asked me for it!
mattinchina
Posted 2006-08-14 6:28 AM (#61685 - in reply to #60953)

Yes, it's always wise to get problems checked before starting new exercises, especially if you've been inactive for a while. In addition to yoga I'd also suggest self massage before and after. Try this traditional Chinese method:

Stand with shirt off or lifted up to bare the lower back. Clench loose fists and use the backs of your hands and knuckles to rub the entire lower back and sacral area up and down for 1-2 minutes, several times a day. This can work wonders for pain relief and prevention. It doesn't just affect the muscles and soft tissues, it also benefits the kidneys, weakness of which can cause lower back pain.

All the best.

Matthew

Edited by mattinchina 2006-08-14 6:34 AM

Posted 2006-08-15 2:26 AM (#61733 - in reply to #60953)

Absolutely do not do Paschimotanasana for lower back issues. If there's an issue in the sacroilliac joint or discs in the lumbar region of the spine this sort of position, where the legs are straight (unlike standing forward bends where the legs can bend) puts the strain/action/energy into the low back. Additionally if there's a herniated or slipped disc in the lumbar spine you want to avoid forward bending.

The twist you mention would depend on how it was executed and the nature of the ailment. Since the second of these is an unknown factor it's best to err on the side of caution and not do this pose either. Many students do this as a passive twist (without creating any length in the spine). In that manner it's not optimally healthy. Too easy for the twist to go into the weakest link in the spine.

The injury should be evaluated by a medical professional and then if your friend decided to pursue a yoga remedy she should work with a senior instructor trained in therapeutics. This stuff is no joke. There are some very specific do's and dont's with low back injury.

If the friend doesn't have a yoga practice already it would be foolish of us to think she would have the proper actions in any yoga pose (unless properly instructed). Any proper action she might discover doing poses without instruction would purely be Divine intervention.

malooga - 2006-08-03 4:49 PM

A friend of mine that doesn't do yoga but likes to exercise moderately has developed some lower back pain...pain was pretty severe at first but has calmed down somewhat...any suggestions for some gentle asanas for the pain ?....i was thinking Paschimotaasana and Ardha Matsyendraasana if aligned correctly might be helpful....she has had the pain about two weeks...

joscmt
Posted 2006-08-15 11:00 AM (#61745 - in reply to #60953)

What may help outside of yoga is a pair of Dansko Clogs.. there are many cool colors and patterns out there now.. I used to have excruciating back pain from working in a kitchen in flat shoes. Someone turned me on to clogs (worn by us chefs, also docs, nurses, and plenty of others) and within a couple of weeks, my back was substantially better. My leg fatigue also diminished. Try finding a store that sells them rather than a website- or at least go get sized for them at a store (then order them off the web) because they fit differently than other shoes. There should be a 1/2 " in the front and back of the shoe... it should wobble a little when you lift your foot (the universal "you"- I know this is for your friend)
Norman
Posted 2009-05-30 9:41 AM (#116231 - in reply to #60953)
Subject: Re: Lower back pain

Glad to be part of this forum, Hope I would get to know lot knew stuff in regard to asanas in yoga. Provided info is of great help to me.
minhot
Posted 2011-09-26 9:50 PM (#209284 - in reply to #60953)

New User

I have lower back pain, too, but I think yoga can help to get rid of it, right?

Edited by minhot 2011-09-26 9:51 PM
ilchileesedona
Posted 2014-04-02 11:19 PM (#211383 - in reply to #60953)

Veteran

Yoga is for holistic healing thus back pain is very easy get rid off in this health practice.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)