YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Stress! :-\
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga for Stress ReliefMessage format

Michelle
Posted 2004-01-14 7:58 PM (#3205)
Subject: Stress! :-\

Hi,

I am at the age of 15 right now and I have BIG stress problems. My friends were always ganging up on me in some way to make me feel worse. So at first, I did not let it bother me. I was really good in things that they weren't and did not flaut my achievements at them. They would just get angry with me because I was in the town's weekly newspaper. Well, I've decided to get new friends, but I'm still stressed out and now I have ulcers.

My mom would like me to start yoga classes. I also would like to take them. Would this help my stress problem out? I'm hoping that it will work.

please respond if you have time,
Michelle from Michigan
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Emily
Posted 2004-01-14 10:48 PM (#3206 - in reply to #3205)
Subject: RE: Stress! :-\

Dear Michelle,

I am sorry to hear that you are feeling stressed.  I think that it is a good thing that you are seeking friends that are supportive of you.  Everyone deserves that.

I personally find that yoga helps a great deal with stress.  It forces me to be present in the moment - to concentrate on what I am doing in that particular moment - which means that I am not concentrating on stress!

Something else that you might want to explore is meditation.  The goal is the same (actually, meditation is a TYPE of yoga).  If you try sitting for a few moments every day and just focus on your breath you might find that this has a calming effect.

Please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any more questions.  And take good care of your spirit and your tummy!

Namaste,

Emily

afroyogi
Posted 2004-01-15 3:23 PM (#3212 - in reply to #3205)

Namaste Michelle,
yeah, I know ulcers too but let me tell you that they kinda completely disappeared after I took up yoga classes. It's probably coz I got rid of my troubled mind and also coz I started to listen to my body and care more about my eating habits. Sure, you'll still find me at McD's from time to time ... but only with a very bad conscience )
Your other problem: I wonder why you still call these people friends? On the other hand, have you reflected on yourself lately? Maybe you did something that pisses them off. Please take your actions also in consideration before you judge about others.
I wish you peace of mind and good health in the future
badi
Kate
Posted 2004-01-19 8:23 AM (#3245 - in reply to #3205)

Dear Michelle,
I'am also 15 and am takeing yoga,I really like it. I also take Karate and it really helps w/ that, and yoga is very calming too me, yoga helps me get through the day sometimes.
I whould strat to take class.
I hope it all works out for you.
kate.
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-01-28 1:34 PM (#3368 - in reply to #3205)

Michelle, it's very wise of you to realize your so-called friends are jealous of you. That is a serious indication of insecurity and immaturity and you don't need to have to deal with that -- although it's very commonly found in people of your age group. Sad, but true.

Do give yoga a shot. Remind yourself that yoga is totally and completely for you. It's all about where you put your foot or hand during that hour. It's all about you exploring how a pose feels in your own body. It's about relaxing those stressed out muscles and organs that are overproducing acids giving you an ulcer.

In yoga, it's hard to remember that there might still be competition. It's human nature to look around and compare. It becomes what YOU choose to do with that. If you can learn to look around (we all do, whether we admit it or not) and say, "Oh, how beautiful" yoga and life can become appreciative. If you look around and say, "I can't do that; they're so much better" it's like those old friends. I mention this because people are nervous about starting yoga at times. None of us sprang from the womb knowing how to do this stuff. We all had to start somewhere, but we're all so glad we did. If someone takes up that 2nd attitude, you have the right and permission to laugh and say, "Oh, everyone's got something they can do, don't they?" And walk away and throw yourself into a headstand or a forward bend. :

The nicest part is yoga gives you permission to relax. I think you'll find it addicting and fun. And probably a new bunch of friends who enjoy a similar, good-for-you activity.

Give it a shot and report back!

baby
Posted 2004-08-17 10:53 AM (#9223 - in reply to #3212)

hi i am new here, i find this forum very intresting

i need some advice , i am 21 yrs old working indvidual , my whole day is stressful, i work 6 days per week hardly have time for my self. I NEED HELP TO RELAX

Please advised on relaxtion techniques

thanks

baby

Posted 2004-08-17 1:06 PM (#9226 - in reply to #9223)

See the above note from YogaDancer baby--can't get better advice than that.
LoraB
Posted 2004-08-17 5:53 PM (#9236 - in reply to #3205)

Something I've noticed in my own yoga experience is that it is precisely those times of stress and turmoil that I am really able to see the beauty of the practice and connect to that grace. Perhaps it's because of a heightened awareness of seeking it. It's almost harder to concentrate and really enjoy the yoga practice when everything is happy and light. Strange?

Posted 2004-08-17 6:47 PM (#9241 - in reply to #9236)

And I'm on the total opposite end of that spectrum Lora--I want total control of events in my life and pleased with the outcome to enjoy my practice. The more I read/hear/practice the more I'm amazed at the diversity of where and who we are.
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-08-18 10:41 AM (#9253 - in reply to #3205)

Yes, Michelle. Doing Yoga is Same as Getting away from Stress, as long as some basic principles of yoga are followed. So, if you do Yoga properly, there is NO question that Stress will be Gone.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
baby
Posted 2004-08-20 11:45 AM (#9298 - in reply to #9223)

hi all

i started mediating in the morning and after work, it really helps alot I CAN RELAX BETTER, i would continue to do so....

baby
Thushara
Posted 2004-10-26 6:52 AM (#11206 - in reply to #9298)

Can you tell me what sort of meditation you do ? is it breathing exercises?
Orbilia
Posted 2004-10-26 7:27 AM (#11208 - in reply to #11206)

One additional point to YogaDancer's excellent response....

Have you seen a Doctor? Most ulcers are, in fact, caused by a bacterium (the stress is thought to upset the body's natural bug-balance such that the bad guys get the upper hand) so you may find you need a course of treatment as well as making a lifestyle change. Natural, live, yogurt can assist with re-establishing good digestive health (use honey to sweeten if you find it too sharp). In fact, eating healthily is very beneficial on emotional health in general as well as physically.

You may find it helpful to see a councillor for a while if you're having trouble shaking off all those negative vibes put out by those 'friends'

Best wishes for re-building YOU

Fee
Wulfheir
Posted 2004-10-28 12:23 PM (#11323 - in reply to #3205)

Since I started yoga, my stress levels are way down. And surprisingly, I can perceive others people stress levels better (i think).
Steel_angel
Posted 2004-11-03 5:30 PM (#11596 - in reply to #3205)

Wow this helped me too! I'm planning on taking yoga but I don't know where to take it at. I'm going to lok around town and see if I can't find a place that does yoga! ^ ^
itchytummy
Posted 2004-11-06 2:48 PM (#11719 - in reply to #11596)

What area do you live in? Maybe some of us can help recommend a good place to begin your practice.
rubertnrubert
Posted 2011-07-28 7:44 PM (#208985 - in reply to #3205)
Subject: Re: Stress! :-\

Stress happens because of doing much work with out break. It is physical pressure. For that we should do yoga. Take little break from work. Take enough sleep. Enjoy vacation on 3 to 4 months duration. Do meditation. Think positive.
shanwallan
Posted 2011-08-19 7:48 PM (#209085 - in reply to #3205)

As per my opinion Stress is the results of lots of heavy work load and I have been saying that Yoga is the main exercises to reduced a stress of human being and finish all negativity in your mind.
shanwallan
Posted 2011-08-19 8:26 PM (#209092 - in reply to #209085)

shanwallan - 2011-08-19 7:48 PM
Stress is the results of lots of heavy work.

Edited by shanwallan 2011-08-19 8:27 PM
JessyWilliam012
Posted 2012-01-10 2:02 AM (#209792 - in reply to #3205)

New User

Yoga releases tension in the angle and foot, helping to prevent injury. It develops a sense of balance and focus. It also opens the chest and lungs, creating more space for the breath.

Edited by JessyWilliam012 2012-01-10 2:03 AM
watson_charles
Posted 2012-01-24 5:27 AM (#209898 - in reply to #3205)

New User

Yoga is what every body recommend to others when some body is having so much stress or dipressed as it is having power to release tention, healing power and keeps your body in shape and also refreshes your body with positive energy.
bilyjoyece
Posted 2012-04-13 3:36 PM (#210348 - in reply to #3205)

Meditation is one of the a lot of adequate practices out there. To meditate is to feel at accord with oneself. While it has been accomplished by monks of assorted nations, yoga is generally accustomed with the development of the said practice. Meditation is absorption on a individual abstraction to overlook the demanding things that you just experienced. After alive up from the attentive state, you instantly feel relaxed.

Edited by bilyjoyece 2012-04-13 3:37 PM
rosealfanso
Posted 2012-04-27 7:26 AM (#210429 - in reply to #3205)

New User

If you are meditating, burn an herbal incense during the exercise. An Herbal incense can relieve depression and anxiety naturally.
callofsedona
Posted 2013-11-12 2:55 AM (#210969 - in reply to #3205)

Veteran

Practicing yoga is not only an effective stress reliever, but also a way to ease symptoms of anxiety. By transferring focus and attention to the body and breath, yoga can help to temper anxiety while also releasing physical tension. Anxiety is the most common mental illness in the U.S., affecting roughly 40 million adults nationwide, or about 18 percent of us.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)