YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

spontaneous pneumothorax / collapsed lung
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Yoga TherapyMessage format

rexall
Posted 2010-11-08 8:40 PM (#125963)
Subject: spontaneous pneumothorax / collapsed lung

Tue 9 Nov 2010, 8:25 am

Hello All,

I am writing for a friend of mine who was just released from hospital after suffering an episode of "spontaneous pneumothorax' or collapsed lung. I don't know if the cause is known generally or in his specific case, but it is more common in tall, thin, male caucasians. This is the first time I have ever considered myself lucky to be short and fat!

He has had episodes in the past, but I don't know how many. Episodes are clearly a medical emergency and if not treated promptly result in loss of life. He has been lucky. I don't know if he has already had surgeries or if he is only considering them, but there are apparently medical procedures which will reduce the possibility of future episodes.

He is around 40, has a normal lifestyle, but I don't know if he does anything strenuous such as sports, but he is active, works full time, and travels back & forth from Thailand frequently, so apparently he is not very limited by this other than the treat of a possible future episode.

Are any of you therapists or teachers familiar with or have any experience with working with people with this condition? Would asana and pranayama or other practices tend to invite or prevent future episodes? It doesn't strike me as there is any "intuitively correct" response to this question. It is either something you know about or you don't.

Thanks v. muc for any feedback.

Rex
Khon Kaen, Thailand

Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2010-11-09 9:52 AM (#125968 - in reply to #125963)
Subject: RE: spontaneous pneumothorax / collapsed lung

Expert Yogi

Wow Rex - I have only heard of that happening in cases of various traumas inflicted on people in TV shows. That's the one where they plunge a huge syringe into the chest - very dramatic! I had no idea it could happen spontaneously! I am sure a good program of asana and pranayama would help, but I would be extra super cautious about pranayama. Any sort of over-doing could probably be dangerous.
Nick
Posted 2010-11-16 12:55 AM (#126104 - in reply to #125963)

Hi Rex,
Don't know very much about this one, but do know that patients are told to avoid air travel, which might be of concern to your friend-I think it's because of changes in atmospheric pressure, but am not too sure, would have to look into it further. He might also avoid nightclubs-I have a friend whose lung kept collapsing, tall, male, smoker, keen on clubbing-again not too sure of the mechanism for this, but loud music seems to be a no-no.
Nick
kristi
Posted 2011-03-21 4:25 AM (#207941 - in reply to #125963)

Veteran

...had never thought that loudness in the environment might help this incident Nick, but indeed years ago our drummer had such an incident and we had to rush him to the hospital. We were shocked then... He was 100% healthy and living a healthy life, was thin, but not tall, there was no apparent reason for this to happen to him. But he got totally cured and out of the hospital in few days. Must be more than 15 years ago when this had happened, since then he never again had such a problem, is now a family-man, but still playing drums as an amateur (and with less volume... I presume:-)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)