YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

bruised coccyx?!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> PilatesMessage format

msglitter
Posted 2006-05-27 9:20 AM (#54088)
Subject: bruised coccyx?!

Heya! i'm new to the whoe pilates game but I went to a class the other day and found one of the excercises really painfull. it was rolling from a sitting position to all the way onto your back and back again, i did it once or twice in some discomfort and then gave up, but i came away with a very painfull coccyx!
am i doing something wrong? or is there just some excercises that i'm not supposed to attempt?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2006-05-27 10:12 AM (#54097 - in reply to #54088)
Subject: RE: bruised coccyx?!

Expert Yogi

As I understand pilates, it should not bruise anything but your ego if done properly. What did your teacher say? Pilates has very explicit alignment and movements. A good teacher should be able to help you avoid injuries like that. And BTW -OUCH! Hope you feel better soon.
willoweyes
Posted 2006-06-09 5:40 AM (#55280 - in reply to #54088)

Oh man that hurt! I actually broke my coccyx years ago. But, rolling like a ball should NOT HURT! Did you tell your teacher? That particular exercise should just make your back feel like someone had massaged it. But, totally no pain.
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-06-09 9:39 AM (#55295 - in reply to #54088)

msglitter - 2006-05-27 9:20 AM

Heya! i'm new to the whoe pilates game but I went to a class the other day and found one of the excercises really painfull. it was rolling from a sitting position to all the way onto your back and back again, i did it once or twice in some discomfort and then gave up, but i came away with a very painfull coccyx!
am i doing something wrong? or is there just some excercises that i'm not supposed to attempt?

===> That obviously means you did too much. Either you did something you are NOT prepared (qualified) for. Or, you went to a place where they can NOT do what you are ready for.
samantha77
Posted 2006-06-10 12:00 PM (#55406 - in reply to #54088)

Extreme Veteran

I feel your pain!!  I hurt my coccyx so bad a while back that I could hardly walk!  Pilates shouldn't do that to you though.  Were you on a padded surface?  Have you fallen recently and may have caused the pain that way?

Samantha

organic_jordon
Posted 2006-06-17 9:19 AM (#56055 - in reply to #54088)

Hi, msglitter…..Ouch, sounds very painful. I have never had any issues with my coccyx, but I have had some friends that have had some issues. However they normally had some type of prior injury. In the past have you had some bad fallen that may have injured it and you not known about it? Could be anything like an injury skiing or snowboarding.

Also, you should be aware that sometimes stress affects the nerves and this can sometimes cause pain in different places in the body. If you are stress out that can be a contributor.

Nonetheless I agree with everyone else here that Pilates should not be causing the pain and you should definitely talk to your Pilates instructor about it and your technique.

Good luck,
Jordon
Free Pilates Exercises

Joanne72
Posted 2007-05-22 10:52 PM (#87041 - in reply to #55280)

Hi to Willoweye and others,

I'm new to the forum, but have been searching for input on an injured tailbone/coccyx - the irony - I injured it a month ago while on a yoga vacation in Jamaica. It wasn't a yoga related accident though.

Willoweye and another person mentioned breaking their coccyx - first of all, I'm sorry, it's very painful I know. Can I ask how long before you started to improve, how long before going back to yoga and/or pilates, and helpful insights? I already have TMJ problems, and a week after dislocating my coccyx (it is bent up and to the right according to the x-rays) I sprained my ankle, so I know a lot of things are out of synch. I know there is also tissue damage in the area (a sprain of the ligaments).

Work is unbearable to sit through, I was getting local anesthetic injections, and I have been having it adjusted and slowly eased back into place by a very good osteopath.

Any information you could share would really be appreciated - anything special you did, treatments or exercises - no one seems to know what is safe, and even lying in bed makes it hurt.

Thanks very much for your time, I appreciate it.

Joanne
dmbones
Posted 2007-05-23 7:14 PM (#87121 - in reply to #87041)

Hi Joanne,

Welcome! It sounds like you're treating your tailbone dislocation properly, getting it straightened out by someone who knows what to do. The treatment itself can be partially responsible for the discomfort you continue to feel. Adjusting the coccyx back to a more balanced position is a form of controlled trauma, so everytime it's moved, you'll be sore for 24-36 hours, or so. The other bones of the human spine have nerves that run inside of them, but the coccyx does not - it's just solid bone and varys considerably in shape and orientation from person to person. In fact, what might look like a dislocation in one may be normal for another. If several attempts to 'adjust' it do not result in an improvement, then you may not need to have it repositioned. What you may be feeling as pain might be from the ligaments (sacrococcygeal) that overlie the tailbone. You are probably already using a circular cushion for sitting to relieve pressure on the area; if not, any drugstore will have one.

This is going to get better with time. If the pain persists, you may need to have some work done on the ligaments. This would be rubbing accross the sore fibers and is usually called 'friction massage.' It may be proceeded with ultrasound on a low, pulsed level to prepare the ligs for the work. If this is needed, your DO will probably know about it.

Best of luck.

Michael
Joanne72
Posted 2007-05-24 9:07 PM (#87254 - in reply to #87121)

Hi Michael,
Thanks so much for writing me back - that makes sense - each treatment in itself is traumatic to the tissue etc., so that explains the cycles of pain. I am very lucky to have an osteopath, and a good one too. I decided not to start yoga classes or go to the gym yet, it's been 4 weeks but the pain is still to much. I just do gentle stretches and breathing at home. And yes, I have found a circular cushion (it's one of the neck cushions, so even more comfortable as it has a break so the tailbone just sits in the air).

I'll ask about the friction massage, my osteopath has been doing some ultrasound on the area.

Thanks again for the input and re-assurance. I was starting to panic that this wouldn't go away and that it would be chronic.

Thanks,
Joanne

Edited by Joanne72 2007-05-24 9:19 PM
dmbones
Posted 2007-05-25 9:51 AM (#87282 - in reply to #87254)

Hi Joanne,

Hope you're doing better! The ultrasound can also be a source of discomfort following treatment. In this case, it would be because of the closeness of the bone (the coccyx) to the treatment. The ultrasound energy can cause the bone to ache for 12 hours or so afterwards. But I'm sure your doc knows about it and isn't using a constant, but a pulsed wave to lessen the after-effect. I use US as preliminary to the friction massage as it loosens the bonds of the ligaments and allows for the friction massage to break up the injury scar-like areas. Don't be discouraged; this will pass also and you'll be back to full practice soon. Best of luck.

Michael
Joanne72
Posted 2007-05-29 10:55 AM (#87672 - in reply to #87282)

Hi Michael,

Thanks, I'm just checking in again - I asked my osteopath about the friction massage and she didn't think I was ready for it - she did some ultrasound on Sat, she also did the adjustment, says that it's getting pretty much back in place, it's the ligaments (as you said), and then I saw my chiro who did some ultrasound on Monday eve. I iced after both sessions. My chiro said that she uses the Graston technique for friction (she does it on my neck) and said she would do it in the area once it settles down a bit, if I wanted - but she warned the bruising might be significant, and the pain quite extreme.

SO, I am having a massage on Thursday night (at my pain clinic where I deal with my jaw pain, the guy is excellent, it's not a frivolous-type massage, its deep and targets trigger points for referred pain) and he will decide about the friction massage, and my pain doc is considering my request for a cortisone prescription to have my osteopath inject - or the lumbar guy at the clinic to do it.

Can I ask your thoughts on the cortisone injection? I have generally resisted them and never permitted one in my jaw area (I had osteomyelitis a few years ago and we didn't want to injure/weaken an already fragile area that has bone damage, nerve damage and TMJ issues - I have instead received trigeminal ganglion nerve blocks in the neck with minimal success).

Sorry this has turned long - I really appreciate your input, and have taken a peek at your chiropractic website (unforunately I'm in Toronto Canada).

Thanks so much, and also for your kind encouragement.

Joanne
dmbones
Posted 2007-05-29 12:10 PM (#87678 - in reply to #87672)

Hi Joanne,

Thank you for sharing the extensive treatments you are undergoing. I hope that each day is showing some improvements. The US (I assume on the coccyx area) should help breakup the ligamentous scars and may result in some improvements alone. Transverse friction massage following is helpful in restoring only parallel fibers (original equiptment) as opposed to some 'cross-hatched' fibers (fibrinogen) laid down in response to the injury. It is a bit uncomfortable, but much better as soon as the friction is over. Nonetheless, the US may help by itself.

Graston technique is a deeply invasive scrapping of the injured area to smooth out any scar-like or tonic tissue. It works better on muscle belly than on connective tissue and can be painful... think Rolfing with a sharp tool. All manual therapy is the artful introduction of low level inflammation, from which repair and the laying down of new tissue arises. Graston brings the inflammation, the repair follows. It's an aggressive form of treatment and I prefer more subtle use of energies. I would not recommend it's use in your complaint.

Cortisone shots need to be exactly placed in order to work. Think of them as enzymes that work to reduce inflammation, as well as other surrounding soft tissue, on contact. A good cortisone shot should reduce pain very quickly. If not, the wrong spot was shot. If some improvement, with 2-3 day return to previous pain levels is more typical. Never get more than 2 shots in the same (relatively small) area. It just leads to too much local destruction. These are the same good reasons that have kept you from using in the jaw.

Finally, my advise is to be patient and to closely observe how your body is responding to these interventions. You should be better a day or two after intervention, when discomfort from the treatment itself has worn off. Time will be an important part of the healing process. The sacral/coccyx area is a vitally important part of your spinal health. Learning to control the obturator internus and other muscles surrounding this area are of great importance in resolving chronic low back pain issues. The more you can approach and observe this area while practicing yogasana, the more benefit you will have gained from this experience.

Best of luck and thanks for checking back with your progress.

Michael
Joanne72
Posted 2007-06-02 11:20 AM (#88258 - in reply to #87678)

Hi Michael.

Thanks for your input - my chiropractor had the same hesitations about Graston technique, so I will leave that alone for now, and stick with the ultrasound etc.

I had a massage on Thursday at the pain clinic, he mainly works on my jaw where it turns out he does do friction massage there, but was very gentle around the sacrum and coccyx areas. The pain doctor was concerned about the cortisone shot for the reasons you mentioned - the specific location of where it needs to be done, without causing damage or atrophy to a ligament or muscle - he only deals with the head, face and neck (hence the nerve blocks I get up there), and he wants to talk to my osteopath before prescribing the cortisone for an injection - I totally agree - I have always been so wary of cortisone.

One thing the pain doc did mention was sclerosing agents - he wants to discuss those too - he said a few names, and that they can sometimes be injected into an injured area, and then they create scar tissue to help in building back the area - do you have any thoughts on this idea?

I will keep up my routines, and treatments, and be patient and see...thanks so much for all your help. I am very glad I found this site, and very grateful for your input.

Thanks!
Joanne
dmbones
Posted 2007-06-03 12:01 PM (#88328 - in reply to #88258)

Hi Joanne,

Reviewing the thread, it's been about 6 weeks now since the fall and injury to the coccyx. What has been your overall progress with the interventions provided you so far? Is it improving or not yet? Has time been a healing factor to you? Or, is it as painful as ever still?

Sclerosing treatments, prolotherapy, injects agents that will cause scarring in the injected area. Why would someone want to do that? This is a therapy that is used, with some success, in stabilizing loose, or excessively moving, joints. If those working on this have determined that the tailbone is moving excessively, then sclerosing the joint might be helpful. But, i am doubtful. The coccyx is a very stabile area of the spine and I would think that your symptoms are coming from a sprain of critical ligament(s), rather than an instability. Without examing you, I would not expect sclerosing to be helpful.

If manual treatments have all been external, aside from the adjusting, and not explored the tissus intra-rectally, then that will most likely need to be performed. Time and again, in recalcitrant cases like this, I have just failed to put my fingers on the primary injury site. Once that is found, it can usually be treated successfully. I prefer to use microcurrent on injured tissue, even ligaments. Microcurrent is an extremely low frequency (elf) protocol, running .5 microamps of electricity directly into the injury site, all sub-sensory, or below sensation level. This is called 'electric accupuncture' as it creates the same physiological effects as does needling, an increase in ATP and RNA locally. ATP, adrenotryphosphate, is the biochemistry humans cells use to fuel all activity, including repair. RNA, replicating nucleic acid, is the blueprint of ourself that details the laying down of new cells as needed. These effects are healing and will come forward if the microcurrent is run through the injury site. It is applied by one pad on the hand contacting the injury site, muscle or tendon or ligament, and the other pad under the area being treated, so that the current runs right through the injury. If the location is appropriate, the improvement will be pretty quick. Unfortunately, not too many body workers are using this yet, particularly right through the hands; as they are trained to use probes, or mesh gloves to apply the current. I've been just putting the pads on my hands for over a decade now and running the current as if it is an artificial chi. No ill effects on my hands, on the contrary.

I'm sorry this is taking so long, but optimistic that the primary site has just not yet been discovered. My experience with adjusting the coccyx is that it should improve things pretty quickly if that was the problem. Lingering complaints like this usually turn out to be a failure to contact the injury site, in many cases. These are the kind of problems people send me when they've run out of time or ideas and aren't making any progress. Thank God, many get better with this simple 'put the finger on the injury' protocol.

The other aspect of injury is the opportunity for you to explore how your mind, how you think about pain and it's associated concerns, affects you. It is an opportunity for you to find that which is unchanging in you. The body will inevitably fail us all, but that which is universal in us does not. The pain and affirmities of aging lead us eventually to our inner capacities for relief. Acute injuries become chronic pains and disability and can often become the major focus of our attention moment to moment. When help from others fails to provide relief, we can explore what we can do for ourself. This, finally, is the greatest asset. Sooner or later we must all face the inevitablity of our materiality failing. If this search for that which is unchanging comes sooner than later, then the quality of our life is greatly enhanced. Perhaps we will have found ourself at last. In this regard, our pain becomes a pathway for discovering God. I say these things, not as a prophecy about this coccyx injury, but as a pathway that inevitably we each will face and the value many have found in the process. God willing, you will make progress in all regards.

Thank you for keeping us informed about your progress and best wishes.

Michael
Joanne72
Posted 2007-06-19 9:05 PM (#89763 - in reply to #88328)

Hi Michael,

Sorry for the long time in not replying, I appreciate all your input - the last paragraph is something I am very familiar with over the past 5 years after dental negligence resulted in jaw fracture and osteomyelitis, multiple surgeries and has left me with trigeminal neurothopathic pain. So I have managed to achieve the balance of life and managing chronic pain, and it's an ongoing effort, working fulltime, maintaining relationships etc, and that's where yoga gave me such reprieve - yoga is an integral part of my pain management - I guess that's why I was/am distressed about the coccyx pain. It is/was just too much for a while.

There has been some improvement, but very gradual. I've been getting the rectal adjustments for about 7 weeks now (my osteopath does them, bless her!) and there is gradual improvement, but still too sore for yoga, or sitting properly, or a long period in a car or something...

My chiropractor has done some Graston technique (?) treatments that leave me a bit bruised but seem to be breaking up the scar tissue. I don't know. The tailbone appears to be more or less back in the correct position according to my osteopath, but maybe there is just a lot of tissue damage or bone bruising and I need to wait it out patiently.

Just a little much sometimes also dealing with the jaw and facial pain, especially since I still can't practice yoga properly - at least I don't want to cause injury - my yoga teacher cautions against doing the classes right now...

Any thoughts are appreciated, but mainly I just wanted to reply - I really appreciate your help during this time. I really, really, hope this will heal with more time.

Joanne
Joanne72
Posted 2007-06-19 9:10 PM (#89764 - in reply to #88328)

Hi Michael,

Sorry for the long time in not replying, I appreciate all your input - the last paragraph is something I am very familiar with over the past 5 years after dental negligence resulted in jaw fracture and osteomyelitis, multiple surgeries and has left me with trigeminal neurothopathic pain. So I have managed to achieve the balance of life and managing chronic pain, and it's an ongoing effort, working fulltime, maintaining relationships etc, and that's where yoga gave me such reprieve - yoga is an integral part of my pain management - I guess that's why I was/am distressed about the coccyx pain. It is/was just too much for a while.

There has been some improvement, but very gradual. I've been getting the rectal adjustments for about 7 weeks now (my osteopath does them, bless her!) and there is gradual improvement, but still too sore for yoga, or sitting properly, or a long period in a car or something...

My chiropractor has done some Graston technique (?) treatments that leave me a bit bruised but seem to be breaking up the scar tissue. I don't know. The tailbone appears to be more or less back in the correct position according to my osteopath, but maybe there is just a lot of tissue damage or bone bruising and I need to wait it out patiently.

Just a little much sometimes also dealing with the jaw and facial pain, especially since I still can't practice yoga properly - at least I don't want to cause injury - my yoga teacher cautions against doing the classes right now...

Any thoughts are appreciated, but mainly I just wanted to reply - I really appreciate your help during this time. I really, really, hope this will heal with more time.

Joanne
SarahRenee
Posted 2009-11-08 8:05 PM (#119397 - in reply to #89764)

Hi Joanne,
I am in the same horrible situation you are. I injured my coccyx in an exercise class three months ago and am still in terrible pain. Have you found any relief yet? I hope you are doing better. Any advice would be appreciated.
Sincerely,
Sarah
rasmussen_sarah@hotmail.com
PilatesNinja
Posted 2011-06-30 4:51 PM (#208831 - in reply to #54088)
Subject: Re: bruised coccyx?!

New User

Pilates should not be causing this pain, but if the injury already exists the instructor is watching to make sure you are modifying the exercises to exclude anything that would irritate the injury. This could be difficult since we are trying to teach articulation of the spine.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)