YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pressure in head/neck
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Meditation -> General MeditationMessage format

HeyHey_MonkeyBo
Posted 2007-09-18 7:11 AM (#96426)
Subject: Pressure in head/neck

Hello,
I use a simple mantra to meditate (btw I'm quite a newbie at this) and I notice that a lot of the time I get a feeling of pressure building up initially in my right temple and my neck. This can spread to my entire head and give me and uncomfortable feeling that my head is almost vibrating. This causes a bit of discomfort and makes me feel quite spaced out, sometimes for a while. In fact I'm at work now after meditating last night and still have a sore neck and spaced out feeling.
Assuming that I'm not having a stroke or have a tumour as this only happens when I meditate sometimes and I'm pretty sure there is no danger of death while meditating what is going on?
I read on a site that pressure is a sign of 'drawing too much power into the head and not in the heart'. How do I avoid this and should I be worried?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-18 7:22 AM (#96427 - in reply to #96426)
Subject: RE: Pressure in head/neck

Where did you get this method of meditation from?

HeyHey_MonkeyBo - 2007-09-18 7:11 AM

Hello,
I use a simple mantra to meditate (btw I'm quite a newbie at this) and I notice that a lot of the time I get a feeling of pressure building up initially in my right temple and my neck. This can spread to my entire head and give me and uncomfortable feeling that my head is almost vibrating. This causes a bit of discomfort and makes me feel quite spaced out, sometimes for a while. In fact I'm at work now after meditating last night and still have a sore neck and spaced out feeling.
Assuming that I'm not having a stroke or have a tumour as this only happens when I meditate sometimes and I'm pretty sure there is no danger of death while meditating what is going on?
I read on a site that pressure is a sign of 'drawing too much power into the head and not in the heart'. How do I avoid this and should I be worried?
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-18 7:23 AM (#96428 - in reply to #96426)

Where did you get this method of meditation from?

HeyHey_MonkeyBo - 2007-09-18 7:11 AM

Hello,
HeyHey_MonkeyBo
Posted 2007-09-18 7:27 AM (#96429 - in reply to #96428)

Nowhere in particular. The various books I have read all mention using a mantra and regulating the breathing and that's all I'm doing. In my opinion it seems to be a generic meditation technique. I take slow deep breaths and recite the mantra mentally.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-18 8:42 AM (#96433 - in reply to #96429)

This method of obtaining knowledge has not worked in your case. So, I suggest two options:

- Write to the authors of those books to get answer to the problem in following the book instruction.

- Get a fresh instruction from an experienced teacher and follow that. Make sure that teacher shall be available to resolve any issues.

Peace.

HeyHey_MonkeyBo - 2007-09-18 7:27 AM

Nowhere in particular. The various books I have read all mention using a mantra and regulating the breathing and that's all I'm doing. In my opinion it seems to be a generic meditation technique. I take slow deep breaths and recite the mantra mentally.

Posted 2007-09-18 11:42 AM (#96452 - in reply to #96426)

Hey HeyHey,

Welcome to the forum.

Mantras are not generic. Therefore the concept of a "simple" mantra either means it is easy for the student to recite or the student has no understanding of the power of mantra.

Please outline the Mantra you are fooling with and we'll attempt to assist.
HeyHey_MonkeyBo
Posted 2007-09-19 4:12 PM (#96526 - in reply to #96452)

I've tried using Lawrence Leshan's suggestion of "Lah-dee" and also "Om Mani Padme Hum". Both with the same results at times.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)