YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Struggling...Help Me!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

capgradnadine
Posted 2009-04-14 6:35 PM (#115387)
Subject: Struggling...Help Me!

Hello to all! I am a Bikram yoga student since 2003. My practice used to be much better than it is now. For some reason(s), in the last year or so, I have began really struggling during class. I understand that Bikram is supposed to be just that ("struggle and try to kill yourself"), but it has gotten to the point of near exhaustion. I can hardly make it through half-moon and I am ready to sit down. My heart rate skyrockets (I am 28 years old and it beats to app. 195 bpm), and I am so thirsty. I feel and look like a beginner.

This is really starting to depress me. I love Bikram, and no matter what kind of self-motivation I give myself, I am continuously having one bad class after another.

Please...can anyone help?!?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Duffy Pratt
Posted 2009-04-14 6:50 PM (#115388 - in reply to #115387)
Subject: Re: Struggling...Help Me!

How often do you go? When was the last time you had a significant break?

Do you notice anything different outside of class? Is there anything you have been doing differently recently? Are there any objective changes in what's going on in your studio?

Have you had any recent medical check-up, or are you aware of any medical conditions you might have?

Duffy

Posted 2009-04-14 8:04 PM (#115390 - in reply to #115387)

Yes yes yes, ditto to all of Duffy's questions. Any major changes in your LIFE or your health? Sounds like something is definitely going on...
Andre
Posted 2009-04-14 9:54 PM (#115393 - in reply to #115387)

Extreme Veteran

Yeah. I've got to wonder if something else isn't going on. (Not that you have to share it, just examine.) I've taken time off from Bikrams at various times. When I if started, my life was falling apart, I was so agitated. I needed the vigorous workout. Eventually I wrung myself out. Then I went through a series of ups an downs until I found some balance. In the end, I had to approach my practice differently. I couldn't push myself so hard. I had to be kind to myself.

And, if nothing else is going on, there's no harm at all in taking a break or trying another style. Or working in other forms. My ideal is every other day. And biking, running or hoops on the off days.

Oh, welcome to the forum!
Roy Batty
Posted 2009-04-15 7:50 AM (#115402 - in reply to #115387)

Regular

A heart rate zooming that high that fast sounds like you need to get a physical. I echo what the other posters have said. No need to panic but for piece of mind get checked out. 28 years old is certainly not too young to get a check-up. Best of luck and keep us updated.
johnny shell
Posted 2009-04-15 8:34 AM (#115403 - in reply to #115387)

you could be really stressed - that takes a huge toll on the body

you could be not getting enough rest or not eating right or not drinking enough water, that will wear you down quickly if you're doing a lot of bikram yoga.

or maybe you're not getting enough protein and your muscles are breaking down.

tourist
Posted 2009-04-15 10:15 AM (#115406 - in reply to #115387)
Subject: RE: Struggling...Help Me!

Expert Yogi

Are you female? You could be anemic. Of course, you could be anemic if you are male, but much more common in women. It is sneaky and insidious - happened to me last fall and I didn't really notice anything until my legs started cramping. Dear Doc freaked me out by sending me home for 3 days to take massive iron supplements and REST so I didn't damage my heart. Check it out right away and let us know.
gogirl58
Posted 2009-04-24 11:26 AM (#115532 - in reply to #115387)
Subject: RE: Struggling...Help Me!

Extreme Veteran

Are you really thirsty outside of yoga? If so, I would go to the doctor very quickly. It is a sign of diabetes, along with excessive urination, tiredness and other less noticeable signs.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)