arthritis and the nightshade family vegetables
kristi
Posted 2009-08-28 3:08 PM (#117979)
Subject: arthritis and the nightshade family vegetables

Veteran

Only recently did I read for the first time that there exist a family of vegetables called the “nightshade family” and that a new scientific theory is claiming that persons suffering from arthritis should not eat them. These vegetables seem to be containing a lot of alkaloids and alkaloids may be toxic and harmful for the joints of certain persons sensitive to these substances. To the nightshade family belong: potatoes, tomatoes, peppers and eggplants.

I was wondering how common is this theory in your country? Nobody has heard anything about it here. Is it a serious theory? Or is it just one more new nutritional theory like all those that come and go every few years… I must admit that I have always been a little bit suspicious to all these… But when I was recommended to try this diet, my first reaction was “impossible for me being a vegetarian not to eat all of these” and I suddenly realized that for the last 15 years and maybe more, my MAIN food consists of these specific vegetables. And I do have a problem with arthritis.

Has anybody tried this diet against arthritis in which these “nightshade family” vegetables are totally eliminated? And if yes did he have any good results? They also say that in order to see results you have to keep it for quite a few months.
So I am asking here… before I… die from hunger
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kedar
Posted 2011-12-16 4:18 AM (#209619 - in reply to #117979)
Subject: Re: arthritis and the nightshade family vegetables

We eat potatoes which are the roots of the plant, but we don't eat its fruit, since its poisonous. Yam is also slightly poisonous, you would get a itch if you just touch it raw. Even after cooking it itches in the mouth. Eggplant being a fruit of the same family is also slightly poisonous. But we don't die after eating it everyday.

But how can you be for sure that these are harmful?

Eat fruits for an entire month, avoid eating anything else. After that you will be sensitive enough to know which food is harmful for you and which is good. Most of it you would know simply by smelling it.

ilchileesedona
Posted 2014-06-25 11:08 PM (#211586 - in reply to #117979)
Subject: Re: arthritis and the nightshade family vegetables

Veteran

Indeed fruits and vegetables are great in body cleansing thus we must eat these on regular basis.