Eating meat
sark
Posted 2007-05-01 3:32 PM (#84787)
Subject: Eating meat

I have tried to cut meat out of my diet but it has been very difficult. I feel very uptight and out of sorts it I go without it for a couple days. Right now I am resigned to portion control. Is there a better type of meat to eat? What about meat from hunting, at least the animal was free ranging and not subject to growth hormones. My inlaws hunt quite a bit and are always offering us venison.
Should I keep trying to cut out meat regardless of how it makes me feel? Does it get better over time? Thanks for any input.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
OptiMystic
Posted 2007-05-01 3:57 PM (#84793 - in reply to #84787)
Subject: RE: Eating meat

I have gone without meat for stretches of time and like you, I had a really hard time with it. You just get so conditioned to the foods you were brought up with. I did use a few Morningstar Farms products and some are not so bad. Being brought up in the Christian faith, it is hard for me to consider eating fish as bad. Pure vegans make the distinction between carbon based life forms that can move and those that can't; even scientists have a tough time determining what is a plant or animal at times though. I worry more about caring and compassion in general. I understand the argument for applying that to not eating meat and I won't beat it to death.
tourist
Posted 2007-05-01 7:49 PM (#84809 - in reply to #84787)

Expert Yogi

Why are you trying to cut out meat? If you are doing it just because you "should" for some reason, you really need to know if that is a "should" you need to pay attention to. If I were regularly offered wild venison, I would accept it with great and undying gratitude. I was brought up on venison and moose, and have a life long affection for it Personally, I eat almost no meat now, but that is because I can't digest it more than any other reason.
jonnie
Posted 2007-05-02 12:52 AM (#84828 - in reply to #84787)

Hi Sark,

It really depends on your reasons for stopping eating meat.

If (like me) you believe that all animals are sentient beings, then no meat would really be appropriate in your diet.

You mention the issue of growth hormones and free range. If health is your motivation then obviously freshly hunted meat would be better....

Why not practise being a Tuesday vegetarian. Eat meat all week and on Tuesdays (or any other day you prefer) only eat vegetable products. After a while, you may choose to increase the days you practise this or dismiss the idea all together.

Jonathon
Cyndi
Posted 2007-05-02 9:19 AM (#84879 - in reply to #84809)

Expert Yogi

tourist - 2007-05-01 7:49 PM If I were regularly offered wild venison, I would accept it with great and undying gratitude.

Hey Glenda,

Guess what??? This past weekend we had guests that came to visit us from Trinidad.  They cooked Venison like you wouldn't believe!!  It was so moist, tender and very easy to digest.  I got the recipe, the taste was absolutely DIVINE 

Edited by Cyndi 2007-05-02 9:20 AM
jonnie
Posted 2007-05-02 9:24 AM (#84882 - in reply to #84787)

I can't believe it! Haven't you all seen Bambi?
tourist
Posted 2007-05-02 10:45 AM (#84908 - in reply to #84882)

Expert Yogi

Hey - I live in the wild, wild west and Cyndi is from redneck country! Be happy we aren't raiding the neighbour's rabbit hutches for a little snack
OptiMystic
Posted 2007-05-02 11:17 AM (#84917 - in reply to #84882)

jonnie - 2007-05-02 9:24 AM

I can't believe it! Haven't you all seen Bambi?

Mmmm - Bambi - that's one tasty looking deer. (kidding!!!)

Actually, I wanted to ask you about your previous statement about all animals being sentient. The really gray area is the filter feeders on the ocean floor that scientists can't agree on (plants or animals?). Is there a defining characteristic for you? A heart? A central nervous system? I am not trying to give you a hard time; I truly am curious. Animals that frolic when young and/or grieve for lost companions (pretty much all mammals and a lot of birds) make a pretty good case for sentience. At some point I think it becomes instinct and survival. Fish swim away from predators just like a plant grows toward the sun if shaded - it's a matter of survival.

Edited by OptiMystic 2007-05-02 11:17 AM
jonnie
Posted 2007-05-02 11:17 AM (#84918 - in reply to #84787)

I bet you both feel guilty now

(images.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments images.jpg (3KB - 143 downloads)
sark
Posted 2007-05-02 12:37 PM (#84931 - in reply to #84787)

Doing it mostly for health reasons. I do not have any health issues, just trying to be pro-active. I think my best bet is portion control and meat free days and when I do have it venison would be the best bet. Venison is way better than beef anyway.
Cyndi
Posted 2007-05-02 12:48 PM (#84935 - in reply to #84918)

Expert Yogi

jonnie - 2007-05-02 11:17 AM I bet you both feel guilty now

Not really.

Cyndi
Posted 2007-05-02 12:58 PM (#84937 - in reply to #84931)

Expert Yogi

sark - 2007-05-02 12:37 PM Doing it mostly for health reasons. I do not have any health issues, just trying to be pro-active. I think my best bet is portion control and meat free days and when I do have it venison would be the best bet. Venison is way better than beef anyway.

Yes, Venison is much better than beef.  Beef is fed growth hormones and chemicals.  If you lived in my area, you would cry over what they do to cows...NOT what they do to deers.  At least the deers are free to roam the forest and eat natural food, whereas cows are put in conditions that make your skin crawl and will break your heart.  I do not eat Beef - period.  I only eat organically grown chicken and pork, and wild-caught fish from southern waters and the local trout streams here in the mountains where I KNOW the water is pure.

I posted part of an article that Yoga Journal did with Beryl Bender Birch regarding eating meat and such.  It was the best article ever.  She talked about 'mindful' eating and preparation of our food...regardless of whether it was meat or not.  Instead of freaking out over the meat issue, you really should focus on what your body needs and being mindful about how it is prepared and consumed.  That is more important than being a vegetarian. 

For what it's worth...I was at my most UN-healthiest when I became a vegetarian.  It was horrible and screwed up my body's internal organs.  It took me a long time to re-gain my balance. 

OrangeMat
Posted 2007-05-02 1:33 PM (#84946 - in reply to #84917)

When I was a teenager, my rule was to not eat anything that had a face. About ten years later, somehow fish made it back into my diet (though not shellfish, due to other dietary rules that I follow). Still not sure about my rationale regarding fish, but I've been consistent with all these views for close to thirty years now, and still going strong.

The turning point to vegetarianism for me was when I was younger, and about to take a bite of a chicken drumstick. I looked at it a bit, and realized it looked too much like my own leg. It pretty much ended for me right then and there.

When I first saw the post about venison, right away my mind went to the image of Bambi as well. But I held off responding because I know that what (and who) you choose to eat is a totally personal choice. You can't forcibly impose your morals on someone else. My husband and children are carnivores, and yes I do prepare their food for them (on the rare occasions that I do actually cook, but that's a whole 'nother issue!). Am I a hypocrite for choosing not to eat as they do but still handle and prepare their chicken and beef? I think it would be extremely foolish of me to choose the chickens and cows over my family. So I choose to educate them with being consistent in my example and my own practice of not eating meat.

My 12-year-old daughter has now expressed interest in becoming a vegetarian because "it's not fair to the animals". I've NEVER said anything like that to her nor around her; that's just not how I speak. Yet she's learning the proper way of thinking and being just by my example. So I totally feel I've done my part.

jonnie
Posted 2007-05-02 1:46 PM (#84948 - in reply to #84946)

OrangeMat - 2007-05-03 9:33 PM

When I was a teenager, my rule was to not eat anything that had a face. About ten years later, somehow fish made it back into my diet

Poor Nemo

(nemo.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments nemo.jpg (2KB - 143 downloads)
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-05-02 1:56 PM (#84953 - in reply to #84948)

jonnie - 2007-05-02 1:46 PM
OrangeMat - 2007-05-03 9:33 PM

When I was a teenager, my rule was to not eat anything that had a face. About ten years later, somehow fish made it back into my diet

Poor Nemo

And he's orange, too! YIKES!

jonnie
Posted 2007-05-02 1:59 PM (#84954 - in reply to #84787)

It's a sign....
Cyndi
Posted 2007-05-02 4:08 PM (#84965 - in reply to #84954)

Expert Yogi

You have to be real careful about that 'holier than thou' attitude when it comes to vegetarianism.  The mind can really drive you nuts about eating flesh if you let.  Been there and done that already. 

Posted 2007-05-02 5:10 PM (#84969 - in reply to #84787)

During military survival school, the instructors delighted in picking out the niest, smallest person in the crew and making them the designated bunny owner. That person got the honor of killing cooking, and cleaning the wabbit after it had endeared itself to the group over a period of two weeks. The point being of course, you can have no food aversions when you're in a survival mode. I actually didn't eat any of the rabbit, I found fine ants to feast upon.
SCThornley
Posted 2007-05-02 9:48 PM (#85000 - in reply to #84787)

one reason I stopped eating meat over the course of about 5 years is,

Meat stopped serving me

I didn't feel too healthy after eating it, and it took a long time to realize it, because I'd been so conditioned to believe that eating meat is success and health and MEN eat MEAT, and I'd subsisted on the food of the Bay during the summers growing up, but now, I just don't wanna eat meat of any kind.

It makes my joints sort of ache and my body feel kind of bloated.

Now, if meat doesn't do this to you, and you enjoy it, then fine.

I also could not continue to ignore what I'd learned from my teachers. I'm not much of an animal lover. I don't have pets, I have children. All the same, I don't really want to eat something that has a heart and mind like I have.

We can split hairs all day long and say that a fish doesn't feel and think like humans do, go ahead, I don't care, I don't wanna eat fish anyway, even if there was a way to prove that they are more vegetable than a bean. I don't want to eat anything that swims in the effluent of the earth.

I used to eat a lot of meat, and I liked sausage.

It just doesn't serve me anymore to eat it, and I just don't enjoy it like I used to believe I was enjoying it.
jonnie
Posted 2007-05-02 11:42 PM (#85004 - in reply to #84787)

Steve,

Interesting points. The subject of vegetarianism is usually discussed in the context of health, though there are far wider karmic implications...

Bruce,

Man, that takes me back.

When I left school I spent four years in the British Infantry. Our survival training consisted of living off roots, berries, worms, spiders and any other bugs we could find and boiling them into a horrible stew .

On our first day, the instructor taught us how to build snares to catch rabbits etc. 12 hours later and between 30 of us, we had caught one squirrel (which didn't go round too far). The instructor drove off the next day and came back with a number of white rabbits, one with a pretty pink ribbon round it's neck. That was lunch
tourist
Posted 2007-05-03 12:41 AM (#85007 - in reply to #85000)

Expert Yogi

SCT - good reasons. I had a coworker who said the whole idea of eating meat made her queasy. Another good reason. The key to me is the individual knows their reasons and are clear about it. The rest, as you say, is hair splitting.
SCThornley
Posted 2007-05-03 8:58 AM (#85030 - in reply to #84787)

it certainly is a personal choice

I don't want to choose for anyone else but myself

I'd like to think that everyone is satisfied with their own decisions and commitments, but obviously, this is something that people don't always think about, they just do it like they were raised to do it, and that's that.

Through practicing Yoga, a lot of times, people are opened up to a whole new frontier where they see that they are not shackled by the slavery of cultural norms, or tradition and have the ability to choose and develop a value system based on their own thoughts and their own truth.

What you choose to put in your body is a part of your own commitment to your own brand of virtue.

There are rational arguments on both sides of this issue, so for me, that means that it is a personal choice in the end.
shalamOM
Posted 2007-05-03 11:28 AM (#85063 - in reply to #85030)

Through practicing Yoga, a lot of times, people are opened up to a whole new frontier where they see that they are not shackled by the slavery of cultural norms, or tradition and have the ability to choose and develop a value system based on their own thoughts and their own truth.

I agree with this, but one has to make sure that they don't just become 'shackled' by yoga cultural norms.
shalamOM
Posted 2007-05-03 11:36 AM (#85065 - in reply to #84965)

Cyndi - 2007-05-02 4:08 PM

You have to be real careful about that 'holier than thou' attitude when it comes to vegetarianism. The mind can really drive you nuts about eating flesh if you let. Been there and done that already.

Yes, I've seen that attitude and it is very un yogic. I believe those who are disgusted with those who don't follow their yoga diet (usually vegan/veg/raw food) are really just disgusted with themselves. It's just a form of projection...really dysfunctional.

I would never have disgust with people, but I once experienced a feeling of irritation on a family get together with regards to unhealthy eating habits. The relatives I visited complain incessantly about all their health issues and play the victim. Because I am relatively healthy I am supposed to offer non-stop empathy towards them because they are just 'sick' and 'unlucky'. They take medication upon medication and continue to complain about their bad genes. But when you look in their fridge there is so much junky food and it's not as if they don't know how to eat healthy. They just don't make an effort because they like their junky food and they really believe that all their problems are just from bad luck. I empathize with their problems, but I've had my health problems too. I guess I'm tired of people playing the role of victim and not making an effort to do much about their problems.

Edited by shalamOM 2007-05-03 11:37 AM
Cyndi
Posted 2007-05-03 12:01 PM (#85068 - in reply to #85065)

Expert Yogi

Hey Shalom,

I can assure you that those un-healthy family members are more un-healthy due to all those medications they take, rather than not being a vegetarian.  In second place, I vote that junk food is laced with all sorts of chemicals and MSG!!!! 

You guys would really freak out if you were at my house.  First of all, my children are not allowed to be vegetarian.  Yep, that's right.  Been there and done that with complete failure.  In fact, I tell my daughter she has to eat a certain amount.  This BS of allowing children to make food decisions is crazy.  Whoever wants to debate this issue with me, you'll loose and it's not worth the conversation.  As my daughter gets older and practices more yoga with me, this rule will probably change, but for now, this is the way its going to be. 

Anyway, some of the very best yogi's I've ever met were from Tibet, where they ate meat.  Some of the worst yogi's I've ever met were from India and are vegetarian.  Ya'll have a great day,

SCThornley
Posted 2007-05-03 12:50 PM (#85072 - in reply to #85063)

shalamOM - 2007-05-03 11:28 AM

I agree with this, but one has to make sure that they don't just become 'shackled' by yoga cultural norms.

IMO

cultural norms is not Yoga

of course, quite a few people who practice asana 'think' they own the rights to what is Yoga, but, IMO
that ain't Yoga.

peace on your face, from me to you
SCThornley
Posted 2007-05-03 12:55 PM (#85073 - in reply to #85068)

Cyndi - 2007-05-03 12:01 PM

Hey Shalom,

I can assure you that those un-healthy family members are more un-healthy due to all those medications they take, rather than not being a vegetarian. In second place, I vote that junk food is laced with all sorts of chemicals and MSG!!!!

You guys would really freak out if you were at my house. First of all, my children are not allowed to be vegetarian. Yep, that's right. Been there and done that with complete failure. In fact, I tell my daughter she has to eat a certain amount. This BS of allowing children to make food decisions is crazy. Whoever wants to debate this issue with me, you'll loose and it's not worth the conversation. As my daughter gets older and practices more yoga with me, this rule will probably change, but for now, this is the way its going to be.

Anyway, some of the very best yogi's I've ever met were from Tibet, where they ate meat. Some of the worst yogi's I've ever met were from India and are vegetarian. Ya'll have a great day,

I don't force my kids to eat anything

They eat what they can get, I try to offer good choices, but I don't force it, and I don't believe you do either, although you're coming across as if you would force it

Like my mother, her mother, my father and almost any old person will tell you, when the kid is hungry they will eat, but like I said, when they are hungry I try to provide good choices
Cyndi
Posted 2007-05-03 2:11 PM (#85077 - in reply to #85073)

Expert Yogi

If you consider a "requirement" to eat meat forcing...then I suppose I do force and frankly, I don't care.  Sometimes you have to 'force' children to do certain things because if you leave the choice to a child, they mostly will choose the same items over and over and/or only items "they" like.  Even a handful of good food items can turn into bad food choices because eating the same items over and over can be bad for you.   The practice establishes poor eating habits while children's bodies are developing.  Eating Brocolli every sngle day is a bad choice.  The good news is that we live in a culture where we have the perfect opportunity to expose our children to all kinds of "nutritious" food items.  In my home, my children are required to eat a little of EVERYTHING that I cook, with the exception of pork or chicken, kidney and livers....unless they need the nutrition from that food item, then I cook it in a way that is more pleasing to their taste.  The bad news is that most people don't have the background that I do when it comes to eating properly, mindfully and most of all...with a sense of balance that should tomorrow we wake up and find ourselves with poor food choices, whether it be visiting relatives, financially poor that month due to slow business, or whatever reason, we would have NO problems whatsoever with our survival.  Last week, I ate 3 - healthy mind you, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for my main meal...for no reason other than I just felt like it -

shalamOM
Posted 2007-05-03 3:06 PM (#85087 - in reply to #85068)

Hey Shalom,

I can assure you that those un-healthy family members are more un-healthy due to all those medications they take, rather than not being a vegetarian.  In second place, I vote that junk food is laced with all sorts of chemicals and MSG!!!! 

Yes, true. I wasn't saying that they should be vegetarian to be healthy....It's just that they take the junk to the extreme. I witnessed my aunt eat a bag of chips with some kind of dip for an early breakfast. Even my father who is not into health at all was in shock by his family's habits. My grandparents used to cook very wholesome old world recipes, but things have sure changed for the worse. It made me sad in a way too...I miss my grandmother's Italian dinners. They sure beat chip and dip.
SCThornley
Posted 2007-05-03 3:07 PM (#85088 - in reply to #85077)

Cyndi - 2007-05-03 2:11 PM

If you consider a "requirement" to eat meat forcing...then I suppose I do force and frankly, I don't care. Sometimes you have to 'force' children to do certain things because if you leave the choice to a child, they mostly will choose the same items over and over and/or only items "they" like. Even a handful of good food items can turn into bad food choices because eating the same items over and over can be bad for you. The practice establishes poor eating habits while children's bodies are developing. Eating Brocolli every sngle day is a bad choice. The good news is that we live in a culture where we have the perfect opportunity to expose our children to all kinds of "nutritious" food items. In my home, my children are required to eat a little of EVERYTHING that I cook, with the exception of pork or chicken, kidney and livers....unless they need the nutrition from that food item, then I cook it in a way that is more pleasing to their taste. The bad news is that most people don't have the background that I do when it comes to eating properly, mindfully and most of all...with a sense of balance that should tomorrow we wake up and find ourselves with poor food choices, whether it be visiting relatives, financially poor that month due to slow business, or whatever reason, we would have NO problems whatsoever with our survival. Last week, I ate 3 - healthy mind you, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for my main meal...for no reason other than I just felt like it -

exerpt
The bad news is that most people don't have the background that I do

and that's OK

it takes all kinds

I used to eat the sort of things you talk about, but you know, the folks/idea/culture/knowledge from Tibet, India, Nepal or wherever one believes the fountain flows from..........

eh, whatever

I don't wanna get fiesty

Maybe, I'm just reading you in a way that might not be what you intended.

I know that humans can have a very healthy life not eating meats, and that whether one eats meats or not, it does not necessarily have any bearing on their 'Yogi'ness.

Cyndi
Posted 2007-05-03 5:48 PM (#85103 - in reply to #85087)

Expert Yogi

Yes, true. I wasn't saying that they should be vegetarian to be healthy...

I knew that....but since we were on this 'vegetarian' thread...I was trying to be consistent?

It's just that they take the junk to the extreme. I witnessed my aunt eat a bag of chips with some kind of dip for an early breakfast. Even my father who is not into health at all was in shock by his family's habits. My grandparents used to cook very wholesome old world recipes, but things have sure changed for the worse. It made me sad in a way too...I miss my grandmother's Italian dinners. They sure beat chip and dip.

Geez.  I find it interesting that most people do not know how to cook these days and all they eat is what is readily and cheaply available.  I'm sure this is the case for your grandparents.

My college son says he doesn't like to come to my house when I'm not here, he says I have nothing to eat.  My husband says he could live in my house for 4 months and never go hungry.  Go figure.

As for your grandparents...I find that to be the case with everybody's grandparents and even my own parents.  I hate the way they eat.  They love living close by to every restaurant chain known today.  They eat steak one night, Mexican another, Thursday's Italian night, and Friday is Fried Fish night from Captain D's, then they cook homecooked food that comes straight from a can and everything they buy is cheap food that either comes from Sam's Club or the usual grocery store chains that do not promote organic healthy foods.

To top all this off, a normal athletic person might be able to deal with this type of eating, but, these people are sedentary, they go home and stay constipated for days and then wonder why they're so fat and/or unhealthy and sick. 

Then you have the vegetarians who eat just as much un-healthy food because they're uneducated about their body's needs and such - they seem to eat all the wrong things especially carbs and sugar because they're body's are so lacking in protein and vital nutrients...anyway, we've had this discussion so many times on yoga.com.  For what its worth..I was a good vegetarian - I ate everything "right".  I'd never been so un-healthy in my life.  Thanks but no thanks.  There are so many truth's in some of those books, eat right for your type - yadda yadda.  Even in Ayurvedic terms....eating meat is necessary for some people...especially in this western society.  Oh well.

Chips and dips anyone???  Let's throw a party.   One of my old time favorites was French Onion Dip with Plain Ruffles potato chips.  This was in the good ole' days before MSG!!

Edited by Cyndi 2007-05-03 5:50 PM
tourist
Posted 2007-05-03 6:52 PM (#85114 - in reply to #85103)

Expert Yogi

Kids - I am constantly appalled by what some kids bring in their lunches. I try to make it clear to parents, as I am often dealing with new parents of one year olds, that their child is in no way qualified to make nutritional choices at 11 months or 18 months of age! That will usually get their attention I empathize with having to try and feed a little one and work and often being single. It is tough, I'm sure. But it is funny to see the same child one day get organic sprouted bread and tofu everything and the next day with bilious pink cherryblastalicious "yogurt" product in a plastic squeeze tube
fechter03
Posted 2007-05-04 1:21 AM (#85140 - in reply to #85114)

Extreme Veteran

tourist - 2007-05-03 6:52 PM

Kids - I am constantly appalled by what some kids bring in their lunches.

sometimes its not the parents...maybe its what they give the kids at the schools to eat,
jonnie
Posted 2007-05-04 1:54 AM (#85144 - in reply to #84787)

I think it's important to recognise that a healthy diet is independent of being vegetarian or not. Unfortunately, I know many fat, diabetic vegetarians.

I'm vegetarian for Karmic reasons, though my diet is healthy for health reasons and I always avoid processed food.

My son will not be vegetarian, (on my wife's orders ) though I will insist on sourcing the healthiest meat products available for him and minimise in intake of junk.

Jonathon
realmxofxnoise
Posted 2007-12-17 4:00 PM (#100868 - in reply to #84787)

I was raised on your typical American diet. When I was 16, I decided to be come vegan. I've been vegan for 11 years now. My wife also decided to do it as well. She's been vegan for over a year now and we both feel better than ever. Of course, even vegan/vegetarian diets can be done badly.

Like others have suggested, try to cut out meat a day or two of the week. When you slowly transition into it, it works very nicely. You just have to have the right frame of mind as well. It can be healthy, and very beneficial to the planet.

I could talk forever about veganism, but you'll figure things out for yourself. At least your giving it a shot. Good luck!

Ram
Posted 2007-12-17 4:41 PM (#100873 - in reply to #84787)

It's such an interesting subject. I've gone back and forth between eating it and not eating it. Now I am eating it but in moderation. I have ulcerative colitis so no way can I eat a vegetarian diet. I do believe it does not benefit your body much to eat dead animals. Very little energy in it and its addictive because of the acid in it.

I see a lot of vegetarians that are sickly and have a lot of neurotic food inhibitions and are very unbalanced people. But I can also tell you I have met very few people who eat good diets that are in the hospital. I am an RN and I do beleive their is a relationship between those who eat a good diet and their health. The hospitals are full of people who eat bad diets, take a lot of medicines and are waiting for doctors to improve their healths (that's worth a laugh).

What is the answer? Eating smaller meals of unprocessed foods and seeing how you feel. Be your own guage of how foods process through your body. And stay off your high horse in comparing your diet to others.

Posted 2007-12-17 6:41 PM (#100883 - in reply to #100873)

Ram - 2007-12-17 1:41 PM

What is the answer? Eating smaller meals of unprocessed foods and seeing how you feel. Be your own guage of how foods process through your body. And stay off your high horse in comparing your diet to others.

EXCELLENT!!!
Ram
Posted 2007-12-18 10:23 AM (#100906 - in reply to #84787)

I forgot to add an excellent source is Gabreal Cousens book "spiritual nutrition". This man lives what he writes. Its an incredible source.
Cyndi
Posted 2007-12-18 11:04 AM (#100907 - in reply to #100868)

Expert Yogi

realmxofxnoise - 2007-12-17 4:00 PM

Like others have suggested, try to cut out meat a day or two of the week. When you slowly transition into it, it works very nicely. You just have to have the right frame of mind as well. It can be healthy, and very beneficial to the planet.

This is how I also feel about the subject. I eat mostly wildcaught fish and seafood from the waters that I am comfortable with. I don't eat anything from asian waters. Eating meat once or twice a week seems to jive with my body, while the rest of my days are a simple grain and vegetable. Lately, me and my daughter have been into pasta. I have a simple recipe where I pick one pasta, then I take some scallions and garlic, saute' in olive oil, toss in some french green beans (cut to 1/4"), maybe a mushroom or 2, then add some Italian parsley....Meanwhile, I grate some really nice Parmigiano Reggiano (whole foods has this really premium aged variety that I adore the flavor of), I drain the pasta, then I add the vegetables, then mix the Parmigiano...add some more fresh parsley and Walla, great meal!!

For variations to this...we sometimes do asparagus and mushrooms, littleneck clams, or add some cooked bacon or proscuitto, or some diced tomatoes at the end...this is sooo simple. You can do either vegetarian or not. The neat thing is that when you do use meat, you only need a small tiny amount and the nutrition is there. Actually, parsley has sooo much nutrition, I could live on that by itself for my vegetable.

Also...I love vegan food. My favorite cookbook is by the Hawaiin Restaurant "The Blossoming Lotus". Their Vegan World Fusion Cuisine is absolutely divine. This book is chock full of healing recipes and information. I love it! They just recently released another book that is on my Christmas wish list to myself. I can't wait to see this book.
realmxofxnoise
Posted 2007-12-18 1:14 PM (#100911 - in reply to #100907)

Cyndi - 2007-12-18 11:04 AM
This is how I also feel about the subject. I eat mostly wildcaught fish and seafood from the waters that I am comfortable with. I don't eat anything from asian waters. Eating meat once or twice a week seems to jive with my body, while the rest of my days are a simple grain and vegetable. Lately, me and my daughter have been into pasta. I have a simple recipe where I pick one pasta, then I take some scallions and garlic, saute' in olive oil, toss in some french green beans (cut to 1/4"), maybe a mushroom or 2, then add some Italian parsley....Meanwhile, I grate some really nice Parmigiano Reggiano (whole foods has this really premium aged variety that I adore the flavor of), I drain the pasta, then I add the vegetables, then mix the Parmigiano...add some more fresh parsley and Walla, great meal!!

That does sound delicious. Being Italian, of course I'm rather obsessed with pasta. Don't forget, it's good for you too! :- )

I definitely think if you're going to eat meat (such as yourself) stick with the fish. If you choose to eat other varieties of meat, stick with organic, free range, grass fed. The typical factory farming meat/dairy industry is not only harming you with what food they are giving you, they are also destroying the planet.

Just to give another perspective to things, keep in mind I'm a 27 year old Male that is 6'4", 238lbs (and dropping). Most people would think I'm some hippie left over from the 70's or something. I just did some major research and figured out what I needed to do for myself.

I hope all is well :- )

Nick
SCThornley
Posted 2007-12-18 1:52 PM (#100915 - in reply to #84787)

I don't eat meat,

I used to eat it.

I've run a lot of sample analysis on meats, especially fish, and from the perspective of analytical chemist who has looked at a lot of samples

say

tens of thousands of fish sample data from all over the globe from different bodies of water

I wouldn't eat fish.

Also, my job and the information that dominates my day because of it, supports my notion to not eat meat.

Bio-accumulation of toxic material (fat soluble, serum soluble) is higher in meat eaters, no matter how much meat you eat.

If eating meat leads to a more serene and peaceful notion in your mind, why should you change?

However, promoting eating any meat as a healthy alternative to not eating meat, physically speaking, is just incongruous with the data observed; especially in the context of bio-accumulation.

I'm not trying to be condescending in my remarks, or holier than thou, so I apologize in advance if I offend anyone with my remarks.

But, like I said before "If eating meat leads to a more serene and peaceful notion in your mind, why should you change?"

reason #1--bio-accumulation
Spirittap
Posted 2008-02-06 12:50 PM (#102951 - in reply to #85068)

First of all, my children are not allowed to be vegetarian.  Yep, that's right.  Been there and done that with complete failure.  In fact, I tell my daughter she has to eat a certain amount.  This BS of allowing children to make food decisions is crazy.  Whoever wants to debate this issue with me, you'll loose and it's not worth the conversation.  As my daughter gets older and practices more yoga with me, this rule will probably change, but for now, this is the way its going to be. 

Anyway, some of the very best yogi's I've ever met were from Tibet, where they ate meat.  Some of the worst yogi's I've ever met were from India and are vegetarian.  Ya'll have a great day,

Sounds like you are very close minded to the topic because you failed to eat a healthy diet as a vegetarian. I don't think one should force their child to be a certain way because of the failures of the parent. Despite it being your child, the child is not you and should be allowed to develop on their own without the fears of their parents. There is nothin wrong with guiding/parenting a child, but forcing is a different story.

That being said i do understand why you are the way you are because of your experience. but we need to reemember not to let fear rule us or those around us. There are many healthy vegetarians, myself included.

I'd like to leave everyone a link. This link deals with the karmic repercussion's of eating meat. http://www.erinpavlina.com/blog/2006/02/the-connection-between-psychic-abilities-and-being-vegan/.
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-02-06 2:27 PM (#102957 - in reply to #84787)

Thank you Spirittap.
Cyndi
Posted 2008-02-06 7:37 PM (#102967 - in reply to #102951)

Expert Yogi

Hey Spirittap,

Why do you come onto this forum - without any introduction I may add.... and make a claim that I am closed minded??

You don't know me, my children, and most importantly...what their needs are! As I've stated here before, there is no way in hell that I am ever going to allow my children to make these kinds of decisions and much less let them fend for themselves. That would be totally irresponsible on my part. Ahh, but we sure do have alot of parents here in the West that do allow their children to make adult and life decisions that aren't sooo intelligent, don't we??? OTOH, my daughter is no where near the type of child who is on a spiritual mission to not eat meat due to spiritual reasons or vows and what not. I KNOW this because I KNOW my child. WE discuss this alot. She's now a teenager. As a Yogi Mom, we KNOW these things. We don't want our babies to be harmed over trendy ideas of vegetariansm...just because somebody says it's the thing to do.

So, the next time you decide to post something of this nature...please get your facts together. You don't know what you are talking about. As for fear issues??? We don't have issues around fear. This issue has nothing to do with fear. My daughter trusts me with her life...afterall I did give her life and I am totally responsible for hers. Yes, there are many healthy vegetarians, but the numbers of unhealthy ones are definitley more. As for myself...I wasn't an un-healthy vegetarian...I was starving nutritionally. I became a vegetarian during a time in my life when I needed to be a vegetarian. Then the time came when I needed to add meat back to my diet. There is nothing wrong with this. It's what MOST people do...even in the HINDU world. There are many like myself that have made this discovery by choosing a complete vegetarian diet, only later to add meat back into their diet for either health reasons or because we were finished and completed our vow and what we were trying to accomplish!! Vegetarianism is NOT for every BODY.

Ciao Ciao

P.S. Speaking of vegetarianism....tonight I'm making this wonderful 'vegetarian' classic Italian minestrone soup that my Nepali - now Italian SIL taught me how to make. It's totally delicious and soo simple. Just take some of your favorite veggies and cook the crap out of them for an hour or so. Mash them up, add some small cooked pasta (or cook it with the veggies, I do it separate) and garnish with fresh Parmegianno Reggiano...it's totally divine! Bon Appetito!

Edited by Cyndi 2008-02-06 7:47 PM
Spirittap
Posted 2008-02-07 5:18 AM (#102986 - in reply to #84787)

I expected that sort of response from you . You already set yourself up to respond in a hostile way by saying "This BS of allowing children to make food decisions is crazy. Whoever wants to debate this issue with me, you'll loose and it's not worth the conversation."

For 1 i have introduced myself and I said it "Sounds like you are very close minded to the topic."
Key words are sounds like. When you say things like

Yep, that's right. Been there and done that with complete failure. In fact, I tell my daughter she has to eat a certain amount. This BS of allowing children to make food decisions is crazy. Whoever wants to debate this issue with me, you'll loose and it's not worth the conversation.

it sure SOUNDS like you are close-minded to the topic. Read what you said, it sure sounds like you're closing the door on vegetarianism right now. You did say that one day this rule might change, but it obviously will because one day your daughter won't have to look for your permission when she makes choices.

I believe we either come from fear or love. I'm sorry, but it doesn't sound like you are coming from love at all concerning this topic. It sounds fear motivated to me because you had a bad experience with vegetarianism, so you shut the door down on those around you (your daughter) making the change. Love opens doors and fear shuts them.

That's about all i'm going to say on the issue, anymore would be repeating myself. I already have an idea of what you'll say, but maybe you'll surprise me . Optimism.

Edited by Spirittap 2008-02-07 5:37 AM
tourist
Posted 2008-02-07 10:29 AM (#103010 - in reply to #102986)

Expert Yogi

Children should not have the choice/responsibility of making nutritional choices. I have one year olds who are making these choices for themselves because the parents are afraid to be parents and make the decisions for their children. One year olds! We have endless debates here about how to make these choices as adults - one year olds, five year olds, thirteen year olds, are NOT educated or mature enough to make well informed choices that may affect their health for life. I am not arguing pro or con vegetarianism here - simply pointing out that kids aren't ready to choose for themselves yet.

As for Cyndi, if her DD was to become interested in going veg, I am sure there would be some discussion and a reasonable, educated and informed conclusion reached between them. While she is still officially a "child" she is growing up and is ready to have some input in this area, though the amount of input and the ultimate decision are still up to her mother, who knows a lot about this stuff.

Posted 2008-02-07 11:30 AM (#103015 - in reply to #84787)

when i talk to teens about going veg, i recommend to them that the do a lot of research and write up a simple presentation with information about the common nutrients that people are concerned about and how to do a well-planned vegetarian diet. i tell them to look at information from non-vegetarian sources that support vegetarianism, in order to tell their parents.

i do this not because i expect the parents to comply automatically, but to teach these teens how to take responsibility and act "grown up" rather than whine and fuss and fume to try to get their position going.

i recommend that these kids suggest that they cook their own meals, or that they cook for the whole family once a week, or --if they have allowance or are old enough to work--that they provide some of their own specialty items like soy milk or veggie burgers.

again, t his is to demonstrate their maturity and taking responsibility in this decision, not just to show their parents that it's some knee-jerk reaction to some over-blown peta video.

i feel that it's prefectly appropriate for a parent to say "no" and for even a teen to have to comply.

i wanted to go veg many times as a teen, but never did this research, and my parents said no and it was fine. my parents said they thought it was unhealthy, i believed them because they're good parents, and i didn't become veg until college.

it all worked out.
Spirittap
Posted 2008-02-07 12:33 PM (#103019 - in reply to #84787)

Two thirds of adult Americans are over weight. Key word is adult. I find it interesting how some can say children aren't able to make a proper nutritional decision when two thirds of American adults don't.

A teenage child can comprehend what he or she needs, parents aiding their children would help. When i first tried to go veggie i didn't know what i was doing, but that experience helped me to make a more proper nutritional decision the second time i tried to go veggie. There's nothin wrong with experiencing failure. Who suceeds the first time they try something? Experience is something that should be valued.

sark, are these 1 and 5 year olds fussing over an ominvore diet, are their arguements based on wanting more sweets or what they prefer to eat? There's a big difference between that and going vegetarian. Becoming vegetarian is not just a health issue.

Our children are not clueless. They are not just 12 year olds running around the park while having fun with their friends, they're powerful Spiritual beings with life times of experience. Try not to underrate them, instead help awaken and explore their abilities while treating them with a little more respect.

Posted 2008-02-07 12:46 PM (#103022 - in reply to #84787)

i do not underestimate them, nor do i assume that any adult necessarily makes healthy choices for themselves or others.

but, it is also important for children to have guidance and limits as well as be able to demonstrate their own ability.

i would be more apt to help a child with good reason to do what s/he wished--if i felt/believed it was healthy and appropriate--than to help one who tries to tantrum their way into being.

having met people of all ages who behave in this way (tantruming), i'm not inclined to give in to them, spiritual beings, spiritual development or not.
Spirittap
Posted 2008-02-07 12:54 PM (#103023 - in reply to #84787)

(((zoe))), my post wasn't directed to you.

For the most part i agree with what you have said, but limits is another issue. We can only limit/control someone if they allow us to. Don't do this, don't do that. This is a very negative approach. Guidance on the other hand is good approach to teach out of love. Sometimes no matter how good the advice is, we all need to learn first hand. It's one thing to be told about something, but another to actually experience it.

Edited by Spirittap 2008-02-07 1:04 PM
Cyndi
Posted 2008-02-07 1:09 PM (#103025 - in reply to #103019)

Expert Yogi

Sorry, but little children are NOT born with "nutritional" knowledge and "good" eating habits. They have to be trained and disciplined just like with anything...yoga, gardening, computers, language arts, history, social studies, etc. Even having been trained...in today's smorgasboard of food opportunities, it's not easy for them. A good example...my DS loves everything I cook, my healthy dinners and my healthy way of life. Last weekend my DS, who is 23 years old was home from college. We went on this looong hike in the mountains. I had to stop at the store for a couple of things. He could not wait until we got home to eat something. He grabbed 2 big un-healthy bags of MSG laden Lays potato chips. I reminded him several times about his headaches and facial pimples....but still, he wanted those chips. DD was in the car too. She was hungry, but she KNEW what the results would be if she ate those chips, so therefore, she was the smart one and waited till we got home. DS (dear son) was grouchy and grumpy the next day. I knew why. I allowed him to make an adult decision...I could of pushed it and gave him a really hard time, but I knew he knew better and he did make a small effort to read some other labels on some other chips....they all had MSG. Although....he could of chosen plain chips instead. Oh well...For the record, my son mostly shops at Whole Foods Markets and eats mostly healthy - 85% of the time. He drinks water and green tea mostly. His roommates in college make fun of his eccentric lifestyle, BUT, they all sure do love it when he cooks a healthy meal for them..and calls me for directions!!

American Adults are not just fat from eating. There are sooo many other causes. In fact, watch Oprah Winfrey today. They are doing a segment on clutter in people's homes is also a factor and causing people to be overweight....its very interesting. You know....CONSUMERISM - it's some mighty powerful stuff going on here!

Thanks Tourist, I knew you would understand,

For the record...I did not pay for my DS bags of chips...he did,

Edited by Cyndi 2008-02-07 1:13 PM
SCThornley
Posted 2008-02-07 1:27 PM (#103033 - in reply to #84787)

I was just having a conversation with my daughter this morning about people who choose to eat meat and folks that hunt,

and

what we actually are-->No longer is it necessary to hunt for sustenance, you can actually choose from the bounty available

Nutritionally you can make decisions that don't impact your health or your karma without much effort in the overwhelming abundance of food choices in the United States and much of the world.

Just a couple generations ago, my family had to hunt to survive.

I've met folks who still have to do so.

I'm not one of those people and anyone with internet certainly isn't.

If you have the money for a computer and internet access you have ample wealth to make choices based on variables other than survival.

So, since food choices aren't about your own survival, why not consider otherwise.

I'm very amazed at how some people, children included, my oldest daughter especially, consider things like eating mammals, as a mammal personally as odd<--when it's not necessary for survival. Also, eating something that procreates just like we do, seems odd to my daughter. This March 1st will be one year that I've not eaten meat, or eggs, no fish or seafood of any sort, and I don't miss it.

Food choices in the vast wealth and abundance that we live our lives within must be made with other things in mind than simply

physical pleasure
flavor
tradition

otherwise, why even portray oneself as a student of Yoga?

All nutritional needs can be met without meat, so why, as a serious student of Yoga living in the wealthy abundance that we bask in, would you eat it?

Posted 2008-02-07 3:11 PM (#103048 - in reply to #84787)

actually, i think that limits can be taught in a positive way and go hand-in-hand with guidance.

in yoga, we have the mantras "sat yam" (i am this; truth) and "sat nam" (i am not this; not truth). by utilizing both a positive and a negative exploration, we discover the nature of being.

in this way, setting limits needn't be a negative experience, particularly if it is backed with guidance. notice that Cyndi guided her young-adult son and her near-adult (teen) daughter. At their ages, they have the information and capacity for making an informed choice because she has informed them.

were her children younger, she may have said to her son, "no, because that has MSG which is unhealthy for you." this is setting a limit, while also providing guidance. it's very different than a simple, negative. And it is this that actually leads to the adult son having an "alternative lifestyle" in college.

as a small child, i remember my mother's rules about playing outdoors--you can play in the front or back yard, as far as the sidewalk in the front, and do not leave the yard at all. do not go into the street. do not speak to strangers, but feel free to introduce yourself to children if you do not know them.

this was often backed up with clear instruction about why we didn't talk to strangers or wander away from the yard without permission and so on. it was about safety and limits.

Today, i can decide for myself whether or not i want to speak to someone whom i do not know or what have you--but that is because i have the skills taught to me through the limits and guidance of my parents and my culture at large. my discernment may not be 100% accurate based on this training, but it is a helpful tool that i still use.

I agree that simply taking a negative--don't do this, don't do that (as my husband was raised)--leads to a lot of confusion and shame. why do others do these things? and if they do, are they bad? and if i want to, or if i do, am i bad?

my husband was raised in a world of strict social rules--spoken and unspoken--and the chronic specter of fear/anxiety that he was unworthy of love and that he must work hard to follow the rules, be right, and earn his place in his family's esteem.

i know how horrible it can be. but that is an extreme use of limits, one that is soul-killing. I think it is possible--since i was raised that way myself--to set limits that keep individuals safe and happy, while explaining how and why those limits function toward that purpose.
Cyndi
Posted 2008-02-07 6:58 PM (#103072 - in reply to #103048)

Expert Yogi

Steve,

I really take a lot of issue with your statements regarding "portraying yourself as a yoga student". This is the most dogmatic, rigid and orthodox mindset I've ever heard of and is totally BS!

Cyndi
Posted 2008-02-07 7:12 PM (#103073 - in reply to #103023)

Expert Yogi

Hey ZB,

Tell Ryan I am soo sorry he had to grow up that way. I think most of us here in the West have to some degree. Its something weird in this culture...I have some ideas but am afraid to post it here, I think you know though, However, some of us were able to break away from our parents and those kinds of environments, in my case it was my Father. But, there were life lessons to be learned from all my experiences and I would not take any of it back. I am glad. I just don't like being around him today, he's kinda creepy, but I can visit for a day, say every 6 months or once a year,

Anyway, with my children, I ALWAYS tell them why and give an explanation. I think that is the key to my success in parenting - at least here in America since parents always have to justify everything we do and say and have no rights pretty much. Not to mention all the other pressures from peers and society, it's very difficult to be a parent here in this country, but in some ways, in my case, we broke out of the mainstream and therefore, parenting is actually quite easy and very nice. There were times when they were small when I didn't always have an explanation, we just lived the example and that produced habits and discipline for them. I noticed with my Nepalis family that they didn't question their parents authority and what parents did and said was the gospel truth no matter what. Boy did I get a taste of that last month meeting my In-laws!! The Italian culture was also very simple. Not as rigid and real laid back. Most of the teenagers drank Vino and get this...alot of them smoked cigarettes. They even had smoking areas at the schools for the kids. BUT, the kids and teenagers were so well rounded, well behaved and it was totally cool. I really liked the environment, so did my daughter. No one made big deals about anything and yet, at the same time, the kids ate really nice food...in the evening it was ensalada (salads) /bread and pasta/meat/veggies/bread in the daytime. The desserts were not heavily ladened with sugar, they were slightly sweetened.....Such a great place!! Those expresso's to keep ya going too, LOL!!

Edited by Cyndi 2008-02-07 7:19 PM
SCThornley
Posted 2008-02-07 8:09 PM (#103077 - in reply to #103072)

Cyndi - 2008-02-07 6:58 PM

Steve,

I really take a lot of issue with your statements regarding "portraying yourself as a yoga student". This is the most dogmatic, rigid and orthodox mindset I've ever heard of and is totally BS!

I said 'serious' student.

and simply labeling my statements instead of dealing with the issues and arguments I present is the worst kind of dogma.

Remember, Cyndi, the finger that points out receives 100 more pointing back.

Now, not to confuse the meat eating issue and Yoga with your personal 'issues', Cyndi, I ask again

Why would you choose to eat meat, as a serious student of yoga, in light of the healthy food choices with no karmic impact abound?

We don't live in the mountains of Nepal, we aren't herders, we aren't hunter gatherers, we have enough spare time to sit and type on an internet forum when we should really be exercising or performing our devotions.

Or is it more about winning the argument than being serious about Karma, and Yoga?

You can sequester yourself behind your firewall and refer to me as dogmatic, if that brings you peace, but what kind of peace is it?

Have you really faced up to your inner dogmas? When will you decide to stop projecting?

Cyndi? You really to have a way of turning the discussion "edit" into a discussion
edit" about your subjection.

Edited by SCThornley 2008-02-07 8:11 PM
SCThornley
Posted 2008-02-07 8:24 PM (#103078 - in reply to #84787)

Like tonight, I had a salad and some stuffed shells, so did my two older daughters, my youngest wanted some salad and a piece of garlic bread with some melted cheese on it.

My son, ate some leftover steak that my wife had cooked.

I don't stop anyone from eating what they want, but not everyone is serious about being conscious of how their food choices impact, personally and globally.

I don't expect anyone to think like I do, that simply would not be enjoyable.

I don't even expect any of my own family to eat like I choose.

But isn't this a discussion board about Yoga?

Doesn't Yoga have something to do with Peace?

Maybe I'm mistaken, maybe what I should do is go back to my studies and meditations.

seems like the flying spaghetti monster has his noodly appendage in this somewhere.

Cyndi
Posted 2008-02-07 8:37 PM (#103081 - in reply to #103078)

Expert Yogi

Maybe you should read your own posts Steve and let others make their own choices. After all it is MY practice isn't it??? NOT yours!
SCThornley
Posted 2008-02-07 8:57 PM (#103082 - in reply to #103081)

Cyndi - 2008-02-07 8:37 PM

Maybe you should read your own posts Steve and let others make their own choices. After all it is MY practice isn't it??? NOT yours!

Cyndi, you must stop acting like a spoiled child.

You are not furthering the discussion with this banter, go to your room until you can behave like an adult.

Please address the finer points dealing with Yoga and diet and Karma in the context of how we live, which includes much wealth, much time, computers, internet access, freedoms beyond any known before these times, I mean really the list goes on.

Is there really any good reason, Yoga-wise, to eat meat? Especially when you can get everything you need without it.

All you have to do is get well educated about nutrition and your own health, and maybe a trip to a professional dietitian or nutritionist, maybe even an allergist, whatever it takes, the options are there. I mean really, if you can afford a computer, the electricity, the internet connection, and all the rest of what goes along with it, you could afford all these other much more important things. Things that would certainly be more important than satisfying one's hunger with whatever you wish to eat.

I don't starve, I really like sweet potato, and have been eating a lot of them.

Sweet potato is very good, and tasty, and helpful.

Spirittap
Posted 2008-02-07 9:00 PM (#103083 - in reply to #84787)

Don't bother, Steve. There is a reason why i limited my posts to Cyndi. You only have to look back a couple pages to her early responses to this thread. When someone goes on about how something is bs and how no one should bother debating the issue with her because they'll lose, that says a lot.

I wonder which yoga teacher teaches intolerance for the opinions of others. Are you supposed to say "bs" when you breathe in or when you breathe out?
jli
Posted 2008-02-08 4:14 AM (#103091 - in reply to #84787)

As with everything, the most important is to try to balance all that you eat. As far as I'm concerned you better try lamb. Hunting meat is good but as I said don't take too much and ensure you have the freshiest possible. For me if you don't feel comfortable stop eating meat, stick to your portion control.
SCThornley
Posted 2008-02-08 6:30 AM (#103094 - in reply to #103091)

jli - 2008-02-08 4:14 AM

As with everything, the most important is to try to balance all that you eat. As far as I'm concerned you better try lamb. Hunting meat is good but as I said don't take too much and ensure you have the freshiest possible. For me if you don't feel comfortable stop eating meat, stick to your portion control.

This really touches on one reason in a host of reasons why I stopped eating meat.

It didn't taste fresh, and one thing lead to another.

SCThornley
Posted 2008-02-08 6:41 AM (#103095 - in reply to #103083)

Spirittap - 2008-02-07 9:00 PM

Don't bother, Steve. There is a reason why i limited my posts to Cyndi. You only have to look back a couple pages to her early responses to this thread. When someone goes on about how something is bs and how no one should bother debating the issue with her because they'll lose, that says a lot.

I wonder which yoga teacher teaches intolerance for the opinions of others. Are you supposed to say "bs" when you breathe in or when you breathe out?

It takes all kinds.

This isn't the first discussion on these boards where someone has 'taken issue' or 'taken offense'.

But really back to the discussion.

I really do believe and have personal proof through my own practice that not eating meat does help with my development as a serious Yoga student.

There are many, MANY, facets to practice, and diet is just one, but everything is connected.

I've looked around and haven't yet found a 'teacher' who promotes eating meat as a path to enlightenment, but maybe someday.

kulkarnn
Posted 2008-02-08 7:59 AM (#103098 - in reply to #84787)

Hey Brother SCT: All those goodies you mention of your menus, I am keen on eating some of them. When can we meet?
SCThornley
Posted 2008-02-08 10:30 AM (#103112 - in reply to #103098)

kulkarnn - 2008-02-08 7:59 AM

Hey Brother SCT: All those goodies you mention of your menus, I am keen on eating some of them. When can we meet?

Brother Neel, much love.

Soon.

I was in Clinton, MD not too long ago, performing work for my father, and that was the closest I came to your neighborhood, in nearly 5 months.

I installed a tile floor for a bathroom for him.

When I'm not at home with my continuous drum beat schedule, I end up farming myself out to perform work for other family, as I am the only son.

I've a sweet potato and 2 large apples for lunch today.

Not that a diet alone will lead us to enlightenment but every little thing makes a different, with every breath, and every step.

Posted 2008-02-08 10:31 AM (#103113 - in reply to #84787)

cyndi:

yes, it's exactly how i was raised, and it works really well. it does make for stubborn adults though. my parents have this running joke about how my being "this way" is "her fault" or "his fault." it's pretty funny.

i think that my situation with my in laws has improved a lot once i figured out that part fo the reason that she freaks out is because it is rooted in care but also with a strong sense of powerlessness to help someone. for example, for whatever reason it is "wrong and bad" to allow children to go barefoot--even in bed. i have no clue why, and she can't explain it either. but worst of all is letting your children play outside barefoot. that's the worst crime ever!

so, her neighbor is a rather hippy, home-schooling mom (another thing she doesn't agree with), and she takes her kids outside to play in the front yard, or to garden or whatever--without shoes on! the horror!

because my MIL fears for their safety (in regards to their feet) but also knows that she has no right to say anything to this woman and even if she did say something, this woman likely wouldn't follow her good advice, she feels incredibly powerless. And then it comes out as this incredibly burdened, whining and judging fit.

and then that gets turned around into lashing out at someone close to her, whom she does feel she has some power over (mostly ryan). during the said situation above, ryan happened to be missing a button from his coat, and she freaked out on him for "looking so horrible" and "not taking care of himself" and on and on. . .finally he realized she was set off by the lost button, and that it was relaly because she felt powerless that the neighbor's children were playing outside without shoes.

what a hard way to live, no? how sad?

and yeah, i totally get you on the europe thing.
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-02-08 10:54 AM (#103119 - in reply to #103112)

Dear Bro SCT: In the past I was jelous of your kids and thought you should have been my Dad. Now, I am jealous of your Father and think you should have been my son.

For the past 3 or 4 days, I only ate fruits for lunch, to the total amount of 1 banana and 2 oranges or slightly more. This is what ate in a list form: kiwi, banana, cantaloupe, orange, apple.

Apart from that in the nights I ate a simple meal of : salad, Whole Oats/BrownRice/WholeMillet/WholeCrackedWheat and Olive Oil/ Sesame paste.

And, i can guarantee you that: a) I did not loose weight b) I was quite energetic in 10 classes that I taught. And, I am sure I did not loose any nutrients, because I am doing the same for years.

Of course, for a young person, I advise to eat more. I am 50+, you know. So, I eat half of what I used to a few years ago, and I am eating 1/10th of what I ate when I was in College.

Thank God, I am economic.

SCThornley - 2008-02-08 10:30 AM

kulkarnn - 2008-02-08 7:59 AM

Brother Neel, much love.

Soon.

I was in Clinton, MD not too long ago, performing work for my father, and that was the closest I came to your neighborhood, in nearly 5 months.

I installed a tile floor for a bathroom for him.

When I'm not at home with my continuous drum beat schedule, I end up farming myself out to perform work for other family, as I am the only son.

I've a sweet potato and 2 large apples for lunch today.

Not that a diet alone will lead us to enlightenment but every little thing makes a different, with every breath, and every step.

Posted 2008-02-08 11:51 AM (#103122 - in reply to #84787)

i'm just hungry these days, and i have no restrictions. but here are my meals for yesterday:

water with lime, apple and orange for breakfast;

water with lime and cuban-style black beans with monteray jack cheese (4 servings of beans/cheese!) for an extended lunch time;

water with lime and frozen berries (thawed) with plain yogurt;

water with lime and vegetarian onion soup with rye bread and cheese melted over, nice tossed salad with warmed honey-mustard (i made it!) dressing.

hot tea (herbal--orange spice) with 1/2 almond-butter (raw) and strawberry preserves (sugar free and local!) on sprouted grain bread.

i'm sorta back to eating normal. now i'll start gaining weight, i bet.
Cyndi
Posted 2008-02-08 12:14 PM (#103124 - in reply to #103122)

Expert Yogi

Well, I haven't had any meat since Sunday. Satyam made his famous Goat, Nepali style. It's very good and eating it usually lasts me for several days. Because here it is Friday.....although, I'm planning to eat some fresh wild caught fish this weekend when I go to the Farmer's Market. I really want some Little Neck Clams with some Linguini...I'm craving bigtime!!

One thing Satyam did make for me before he left for out of town was fresh Methi (Fenugreek) leaves with aloo (potato). My pee smells like Methi...it's driving me nuts!! But, this stuff really cleanses your kidneys and liver. It's working great! So, that has been my lunch, along with rice, pasta and bread. I don't like to eat much rice these days...I get so tired of rice even brown and wild rice pilaf's get old and I have to switch around - alot. But, mostly I eat pasta w/ a vegetable along with fresh baked bread and olio....and of course, fresh grated Parmesan Reggiano...gotta have it!

In the evenings...I've been sticking with my Italian diet of Ensalada and the wonderful Olio that I brought back from Italia...it's sooo good. I just take my lettuce and add a squeeze of Myer Lemons (these lemons are divine!!), the fresh olio, tomatoes, green and kalamata olives, fresh mozzerella and a touch of sea salt. Sometimes, instead of lemon, I do the Balsamic Vinegar from MODENA...OMG, this stuff is good too!!

Last night I had my leftover Minestrone with my ensalada, because I skipped lunch due to playing on a Certified Organic Farm yesterday. I've been asked to take care of the bees in exchange for...you'll love this ZB...raw milk, cheese and fresh eggs and a percentage of the certified organic honey that I help the bees make. I get to keep the wax for my candles too. I have to start these bees from scratch and re-build their colonies using strict organic methods...I'm sooo excited!

Okay, Bon Appetito Ya'll.

Ciao Ciao

Posted 2008-02-08 12:35 PM (#103128 - in reply to #84787)

cyndi:

i have to say that pastured chickens give the tastiest eggs. the yolks are orange! raw milk is great and makes the best butter, the best yogurt, and the best ice cream ever! i love my home-made ice cream made with raw milk and raw cream. it hardly takes any sugar at all (enough to make it freeze properly).

and, working in exchange is the bomb!

i love salad again! i'm so happy i can eat veg again! i had such an aversion for a while!
SCThornley
Posted 2008-02-08 2:35 PM (#103141 - in reply to #84787)

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Sustainable-Farming/2008-02-01/What-You-Need-to-Know-About-the-Beef-You-Eat.aspx

consider not buying Grocery Store or Wal-Mart Beef, and really think about where the meat you may or may not want to eat

Posted 2008-02-08 3:05 PM (#103146 - in reply to #84787)

yeah, that's what ryan does. he knows here his food comes from. it's local. pasture raised. small scale or on the farm slaughter.
Cyndi
Posted 2008-02-08 3:14 PM (#103147 - in reply to #103146)

Expert Yogi

Me too. That is why my bee farm is a farm partner with the Appalachain Sustainable Agricultural Project (ASAP) here in North Carolina. Yes, eat local. But, NO Beef for me though,